cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem w hot water heater system after winterizing

brandonsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Winne 2001 Adventurer 35U. It's in really good shape. I bought it with 20k miles on it and have put another 8k or so on in the last three years. Here is my problem.

This past fall I prepped it for winter but now i can not figure out the way all of the switches and valves go for the hot water heater to work properly. Last time we went out for a weekend I got it to work but it was contrary to what it should have been so it freaked me out and I shut it down.

I say contrary but the pipes are simply not labelled well. There is a 'T' one way is labelled normal operation and the other is hot water heater bypass but the valve does not turn both of those ways. Very confusing.

Does anyone know how it should be setup? I would really hate to fry my hot water heater. We are prepping for a month long 4k mile trip so it would be great to have that working.

thanks
4 REPLIES 4

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
Brandon, the bypass valve turned the other way should fill your fresh water tank in the mh.

brandonsmith
Explorer
Explorer
That worked, thank you!

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the pump and remove the drain plug for the water heater. If there is water in it, let it completely drain.

Set the bypass valve to the position that you believe will allow water to flow to the water heater.

Turn on the water pump. if water flows throw the water heater and out of the drain plug, you have it set correctly for normal usage.

If you like to wear a belt and suspenders, turn off the water pump and let the tank copletely drain, again.

Turn the bypass valve in the other direction and turn on the pump. No water should flow through the water heater.

Mark the valve so that you will know next time.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The lever on the by-pass points in the direction of flow. So if it's at 90 degrees to the input then it's going that direction (probably bypass) and if it points straight to the other side of the fitting then the water is flowing that direction. Hope fully this make sense.
If your not sure then you could post a pic of it for us to see.