cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

propane fridge on when traveling

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Ok just thought I would ask, " If you are driving how many of you run your fridge on propane? Some other thread hit on this as a safety issue just wondering what the masses are doing. I do realize some of you modern guys are all electric, and if its to uncomfortable inside we run the genny for more ac cooling thus not on propane! But do you see a problem just running on propane?

NO I don't, but shut it off when refueling!
70 REPLIES 70

ATOMICPUNK
Explorer
Explorer
SpinRite wrote:
My refrigerator is run by the inverter while traveling. The alternator keeps the batteries charged, no need to run the generator.

this^
Big Pig Racing
2012 Allegro Red 38QBA

psmoore
Explorer
Explorer
I run ours on the genset. It's always on when driving, as kids like to watch tv, or play on ipads, ipods, nooks, etc. LOL Then A/C is always nice too
Paul and Susan - 4 kids
2001 Winnebago Brave 35C

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
ALWAYS ON WHEN TRAVELING.
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:
I have seen number of RV's burned to the ground since 1974 when I started RV-ing. Truck campers, trailers, motorhomes. I didn't know the reason for the fires. Could have been caused by released propane from overfilled tank, could have been gasoline leak from old&cracked fuel hose, could have been from number of reasons. One trailer fire was caused by a cigarette butt thrown by a driver which landed in the trailer he was pulling. Yes, bad things can happen in an accident. We have to carry fuel, be it gasoline or propane or natural gas or diesel which is a risk factor all ready. Propane, when leaking tends to collect close to the ground because it is heavier than air. My point is why to increase the risk of something bad happening by having an open flame while driving. DOES THAT FRIDGE REALLY HAVE TO BE ON WHILE IN MOTION?
Yes, just ask my DW who is a food safety manager. The insulation in an RV fridge isn't worth squat. Bacteria is always growing in your fridge. The warmer it gets, the faster it grows.

The problem with your argument is the dangers you suggest are not specifically related to the motion of the RV. A propane line can break any time. Even if the motion of the RV broke the line, if it were possible to have a large enough concentration of propane around the fridge flame to light it, then when you turn your fridge on, once you stop, you have the same hazard - technically you have a worse hazard because had the flame already been burning, it would tend to burn off the fumes faster than they would build up. Your fridge has vents. As you point out, propane is heavier than air, which is going to make it run out the lower vents in the fridge compartment.
IRV2

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
liborko wrote:
I have seen number of RV's burned to the ground since 1974 when I started RV-ing. Truck campers, trailers, motorhomes. I didn't know the reason for the fires. Could have been caused by released propane from overfilled tank, could have been gasoline leak from old&cracked fuel hose, could have been from number of reasons. One trailer fire was caused by a cigarette butt thrown by a driver which landed in the trailer he was pulling. Yes, bad things can happen in an accident. We have to carry fuel, be it gasoline or propane or natural gas or diesel which is a risk factor allready. Propane, when leaking tends to collect close to the ground because it is heavier than air. My point is why to increase the risk of something bad happening by having an open flame while driving. DOES THAT FRIDGE REALLY HAVE TO BE ON WHILE IN MOTION?

Yes......I like my beer cold, my frozen food to stay frozen and the GFs milk from getting warm and spoiling.

Besides both Dometic & Norcold have statements in their manuals about it being OK to travel with fridge ON while in motion, without any mention of propane issues. And you can bet their team of lawyers have vetted those statements prior to publication.

Bet that those fires that can be attributed to RV Fridge fires were 'electrical' in nature. Better turn that hazardous device OFF before going to sleep :E

A lot ado about nothing......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...it has to be on.
It was built to be on.
I like travelling with it on.
I can find no instances of a propane fridge causing an accident. Fridge fires that DO get reported all seem to be electrical, which makes you the risk taker here.

As has been said many many times..common sense ain't always so common.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Well thats a whole other ball of wax. People are scared to death of CNG,LPG powered vehicles, because they do not understand them shall we start another topic . Go ahead and post it Doug, I have positive feedback about natural gas vehicles!!!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
liborko wrote:
A flame needs oxygen to burn. If it is burning it is getting oxygen. If it is getting oxygen, it can get explosive mixture of gases as well.
I guess we will never agree on this issue. I travel with all propane appliances OFF and propane tank shut-off. When I have to have fridge running while driving, I run it on inverter. You do as you please. Signing off.

What happens when you have someone run into your RV at the LP tank????? You can do what you want. But, to state that having the LP system ON when traveling and to have the LP refer ON when traveling is dangerous is PLAIN wrong. Possible problem? Yes, but with Millions of RV's traveling with LP systems ON and the refers ON for over 50 years, you would think that there would be scores of reports about BAD things happening and the truth is, there is NOT. What about dual fuel(LP/Gasoline) Cars and trucks and vehicles that run on LP or CNG. What is your response to those vehicles. Doug

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:
A flame needs oxygen to burn. If it is burning it is getting oxygen. If it is getting oxygen, it can get explosive mixture of gases as well.
:h
But only when it's going down the road; when stationary, there are no such "explosive mixtures of gases" around, right?

Illogic piled atop fear doesn't make the case against mobile use of propane any stronger.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
liborko wrote:
I guess we will never agree on this issue. I travel with all propane appliances OFF and propane tank shut-off. When I have to have fridge running while driving, I run it on inverter. You do as you please. Signing off.

Hard to do both.....either the air/fuel ratio is correct for combustion, it's air rich and can't burn or it's fuel rich can't burn and is only explosive when oxygen is reestablished.

But then again....if it goes out and doesn't relight it shuts down completely.

Just like it would do when you are asleep inside the rig....oh my.
Course it could catch fire electrically while on inverter.
Best not to use it ever.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dometic. Would NOT need this if NOT for in transit.

When the vehicle is moving, the leveling is not critical, as the
rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either
side of level, keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in
the evaporator tubing.

FIRE OR EXPLOSION HAZARD. When refueling
or parked near gasoline pumps, shut off all
LP gas appliances. Failure to heed this warning
could cause a fire or explosion resulting in death
or severe personal injury.

Norcold.
Does not allow copy and paste from their owners manuals, but state the same thing.

Doug

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
liborko wrote:
"Common sense" dictates not to travel at 60mph on highway with open flame no matter how protected.

The above is wrong in its basis.

"Common sense" is by definition common, and will only be found in those who use their powers of reasoning to evaluate situations according to the reality of the so-called "danger". The most common response in this thread reflects this attitude.

Yours is the more "uncommon" attitude based only on fear and a willingness to embrace apocryphal nonsense.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien