cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a flatbed

reno82
Explorer
Explorer
Knowing that I'm limited to the weight limits of the DP motorhome, can you legally pull a 21' flatbed trailer with a jeep and ATV behind a 38' motorhome or do I need a different class license because of the length?
22 REPLIES 22

I tow a 32ft enclosed behind a 40ft DP 325 Cummins and so far have never had a power or length problem......seems to me if you drive like you have some sense no one bothers you.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I assumed the ATV was going on the flatbed and then Jeep behind those two?

Bill

He's not triple towing, he has the ATV and jeep on the trailer, we do that often no problems.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:
While the question appears to be one of the legal or licensing problems with length, the real question here should be of overloading the chassis on the coach.

You'd have to have one very cheaply built M/H not to pull a trailer loaded with a jeep and quad.

my trailer loaded is less than 5k#

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
reno82 wrote:
Knowing that I'm limited to the weight limits of the DP motorhome, can you legally pull a 21' flatbed trailer with a jeep and ATV behind a 38' motorhome or do I need a different class license because of the length?

We are a 40 motorhome, pulling a 18' flat bed with a jeep on it and we are over all length 62' here in WA the max length is 75'.

We've done almost every state that way no problems.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
While the question appears to be one of the legal or licensing problems with length, the real question here should be of overloading the chassis on the coach. Brakes, radiator and suspension limits need to be addressed.

The three most popular Cummins engines are the ISB, the ISC/ISL, and the ISM. You'll need at least the ISC/ISL and the ISM would be better. Unfortunately, the ISM is available on only a few top end coaches. The ISC or ISL with the side radiator on a chassis with full air suspension and air brakes would be a good choice.

As for using a gas powered coach, I wouldn't recommend it.

As for length limitations, I've never heard of anyone in a motorhome getting stopped or checked. You won't need another license if the license you have in your state is sufficient.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assumed the ATV was going on the flatbed and then Jeep behind those two?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the OP intends to put the Jeep and atv on the flatbed. See profile picture...We pull a 22' enclosed car hauler behind a 40 footer. No problem at all. No special license. You will be legal in most if not all states.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
82' long when you add in towbars, I don't think so. It not a matter of getting a license. How much horse power / torque do you have?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.