cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pusher speedometer 5mph at rest?

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
1998 Harney Pusher on Magnum chassis with CAT engine. I noticed that when it says I am going 60, others tell me I am going 55. Sitting idling it shows 5mph. Weird. Any ideas?
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.
13 REPLIES 13

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is mechanical, parts can get sticky, magnets weaken. Typical mechanism was a rotating cup trying to pull a magnet attached to the needle, held back by a spring. (When the spring breaks on those, the needle just spins around, or spins until it hits something to stop it).

If it is electronic, with the indicator measuring voltage or current, the bias voltage for the instrument panel can shift. That is regulated either by resistor packs, a solid-state voltage regular, or combination of the two, and other instruments might be reading wrong values.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always felt that my coach was going faster than the speedometer was showing. I installed a Banks IQ that has a speed calibration feature using GPS. it will show actual speed and a correction factor. I have to use a correction factor of +5.8% to get actual mileage. I have checked the accuracy of the GPS sped on several 10 mile trials. It is right on the money. I am betting that a great many coaches out there are getting erroneous speed readings.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think I covered this elsewher but my suggestions are as follows.

Get a GPS or a speedometer app for your smart phone.. This includes the Torque-PRO app for use with an OBD-II bluetooth sender (FEE) and Compass Free (Free of course) and a host of others.

USE the GPS to "Calibrate" the speedometer

If the dash reads +5 at all speeds.. Just make the mental adjustment

IF it's random... See a speedometer shop.

IF you have the kind of engine that the plug in OBD-II to Bluetooth devices work with Torque Pro is great.. in my car I have a display of RPM (not provided on dash) Engine Load, Timing advance and manifold pressure (not provided) battery voltage (Digital, not provided) coolent temp (Provided non-labeled analog but the phone shows didital) and compass heading (phone GPS) Fantastic.. I can replace compass heading with vehicle speed sensor or GPS speed sensor if I choose but speedo came out within 1 MPH so I do not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Some speedometers from that era actually had a stop-pin that stopped the needle from going down below 5 mph. Does it start to move immediately you move off or does it pick up at 5 mph? The 60 mph indication when you're actually only doing 55 could be influenced by the tire size difference.

I'd suggest doing a check at 10 mph increments to see if the "error" varies with speed, then do an occasional verification that it's consistent over time. It could be that either the speedo is a bit gummed up internally or there's some inconsistency at the engine transmitter end. 1998 electronics weren't the highly reliable ones we've come to expect nowadays - may even be analog rather than digital.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
At least The Police will leave You alone ! Mine reads the other way at 55 on the Speedo the GPS says I'm going 58 !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't balk.....5 mph at rest gives you head start when you're going on a trip. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
A cable on a pusher would be a long one for sure! This is an electronic speedometer. When you turn the key to the on position, the speedometer tests and goes full sweep, then all the way back and then...I thing....ought to go to zero. Was just wondering if this was a common problem or something someone else has experienced.
1999 Harney Renegade

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
My old Bounder (1988)speedo said I was 65 GPS said 59
The Kountry Star was 65 when the GPS said we were doing 60
Our Horizon 65 equals 62.
Point is they all have variations. Reading 5MPH at a stop could just be dust holding the arm up.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years ๐Ÿ™‚

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, not really. Your coach is 17 years old and if there is a speedometer cable, it is not unusual for them to start sticking, especially on vehicles that sit for long periods of time. They are lubricated from the factory but from then on, they are exposed to the elements and the lubrication eventually starts to fail.
Even if it is electrically fed, anything that sets tends to get stiffer and not swing like new. Meters are no different.

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
Ahem....ok. Does ANYONE think it is weird that is shows 5mph at rest?
1999 Harney Renegade

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
275-70R/22.5 Diameter 37.6 to 38.0"
265-75R/22.5 Diameter 38.4 to 38.5"

Smaller tires make the odometer show faster speed and miles will be more.
Good thing is it will make the MPG seem better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Check the odometer with 10 Mile marker signs to see your gain on miles driven.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
GPS agrees with those who tell me. And sometimes it is even greater than 5mph difference.
275-70R22.5 on it now.
265-75R223.5 originally....so there may be a little difference in circumference. But the tires aren't going to make the speedometer read 5 mph when at rest.
1999 Harney Renegade

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
First thing I would do is compare speedometer readings with a GPS. More accurate than "others tell me"....

Do you have the OE tire size?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/