cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about inverter transfer switch

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased this 2007 TropiCal coach and it has a Xantrex 458 inverter/charger and a QD 8000 genset. When I switch from inverter to generator and from generator back to inverter it interrupts power and shuts off whatever is running, like the TV, DVR, etc. I'm trying to determine if this is normal with this setup or not, and what to do about it. I've talked to a couple friends with MH's and their stuff doesn't shut off when they switch back and forth. I have experience with a Xantrex 3012 in a sailboat it is seemless switching from inverter to generator and back. Wondering if I just need to buy a newer inverter. Nothing wrong with this one, works and charges fine, just frustrating how things shut off. Makes it very hard to work the DVR...serious problem. 🙂
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry
21 REPLIES 21

MrWizard
Replace inverter
Or
Get a UPS to put in between the outlet and the TV DVR etc
The UPS will keep the electronics powered during the switch over from generator & inverter
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
All transfer switches have to have a "blink" built it. If they did not, then during that short time that both contactors were closed, the voltage and phase angle would have to be perfectly matched or the instantaneous load could be astronomical. (Means BANG)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rocknxj wrote:
Freedom 458 specs say it has a 25-40 ms internal transfer switch, which shouldn't turn off the TV or DVR. Wondering what others experience and what could be happening.
My Prosine's xfer switch was fast enough to keep my old SD DTV receiver on, but not the HD receiver.

I hard-wired my subsequent inverters' output to the tv/dvr.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Rocknxj
Explorer
Explorer
So, is this a normal thing? The Freedom 458 specs say it has a 25-40 ms internal transfer switch, which shouldn't turn off the TV or DVR. Wondering what others experience and what could be happening.
'00 F450 CC 4x4 XLT PSD
Full air bag rear suspension, Banks Brake, 74 gal fuel, PU bed conversion

'04 Lance 1161, side entry

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Consider running the tv & dvr full time on a small inverter.
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Consider running the tv & dvr full time on a small inverter.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My guess is, you will experience power interruption when utilizing ANY external transfer switch. Just the "nature of the beast". The only solution is to purchase an inverter/charge with a built in transfer switch that specifies a fast transfer time.