cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RE Even new rigs need to be inspected My Winnebago story

wildviking
Explorer
Explorer
Well we Bought a new 2016 Sunova 36z. We sold the DP and could not decide which route to go but the wife really likes the 36z floor plan so that is what is in the driveway.. Dealer did a great job on the walkthru and the PDI. We drive the rig home and notice we have a leak it stops when we are parked yet leaks when we drive took it back to the dealer and to make along story short there is a hole on the top of the tank you can see water shooting from when you overfill the tank that runs into our rear compartments flooding them. It also leaks if the tank is almost full as it sloshes out of the tank. So now we are waiting for a replacement tank to be sent from Winnie . So we take the rig on a few day trip to some property we own and do dry camping on we brought our water in a spare tank in the back of my Pickup so we could enjoy the trip.
And we did enjoy the rip the motorhome worked great everything seemed to be wonderful tested everything out and all worked. Drove home with the rear Grey tank at 2/3s and the front grey full both black tanks were less then 1/2 or 1/3 when we got home we had water leaking again the rear grey tank was dumping on the street from what appears to be the inlet that shifted do to no brackets to hold the grey tank in place as your driving it.
So wife and I decided we better test all the tanks and the black tank on the rear seems to have shifted as well as when filled it leaks out the top. So that is where we stand now and i am hoping all will be well when we get things fixed soon. Trust me I will let you all know how things go. lucky it was only a 14 mile drive or so with the tanks moving other wise things might have got more interesting spilling grey water around every corner LOL
19 REPLIES 19

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar problem. I ended up plugging tubing into my overfill tube, and into the tank fill fresh water tube with a bung, and running the tubes into 2 liter bottles. A short trip around the block and the fill tube had sloshed into the bottle about a liter, the overfill tube about 1/4 of a liter.

From then on, I capped the main tube tightly, and because I needed the overfill tube to allow for water extraction, I kept it with the hose above the level, but into the water bottle for the sloshing.

I found if I didn't fill past three quarters, the problem was mitigated.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

wildviking
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am lucky that my dealer roy robinson is top notch and I am sure they will fix everything even better than it came from the factory . But yes Gbopp I sure will keep you all informed as to the outcome. So far I am just mildly disappointed and lucky for us it has two sets of holding tanks so my vacation time will not have to be spent at home staring at the motorhome LOL.

wildviking
Explorer
Explorer
Yes not sure whats going on. perhaps the dealers need to demand the factory do something. I can understand a glitch here and there but am at a loss at how our freshwater tank seems to have a big hole in the top.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Please, keep us updated. I always thought Winnebago had half decent quality control.
Apparently not, at least in your case.

I hope they get it fixed quickly and With no problems or hassle for you.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Gads another new bad build RV story, there is a thread running from a RV reporter saying the same thing about how quality in the RV industrial system has gone way down in the past few years, another reason to keep my 2008 till the tires fall off.