cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recoating Rubber roof

wvmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to recoat the rubber roof on my motorhome with dicor roof sealant,question is has anyone used the 2 part system without using the activator cleaner.I have scrubbed my roof well and just wondered if it would be ok or?

Thanks,
8 REPLIES 8

wvmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input got the activator on the way

Bruce_Brown
To do this without the clearner/activator would be like intentionally creating a lot of work simply to throw money away.

It obviously needs to be clean, and without an activator will not properly cure.

It's there for a reason - use it!
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
If that stuff doesn't stick, you're in a pile of hurt is all I know. Personally I really have not seen too many that have used that stuff and kept the RV much after that.

I use the one part stuff that needs doing every few years. Works for me.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought mine the previous owner had used the cleaner and then the 2 part Dicor coating. It came off in sheets in a short period of time. Didn't do well at all. I went back with a different product that did much better and I didn't use the cleaner. It's a mess to work with but, if done properly works pretty well. I never found it to be a permanent fix. Watch for bubbles when you're rolling liquid rubber. Those bubbles will become little holes and they will create problems. Before you roll out the rubber do an exhaustive inspection of your roof and check the edges really good. If you find a small tear or hole make sure it's not wet under there. If you put rubber over water it will dry and then split and leak. If you find a leak inspect to see how much water has gotten under there and do what you need to do to let it dry out. Liquid rubber is good for a couple of years in my experience. I got into the habit of getting on the roof every year, or more. Eternabond tape and equivalent will fail if taped over a tear where water has become trapped under it. In an emergency you could use it then make a better repair when you get home, etc..

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why question the manufacturer's recommendations? They want you happy and your roof revitalized. Thus have given you application guidelines.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I used Heng's Rubber Roof Coating. No primer needed. It goes on easy and does a nice job.

Since you spent the money for the Dicor, follow the directions and do it right.

wvmoss
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda what I was thinking I have already bought 4 gal of the roof coating and it is too expensive to risk it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You don't wan't to take that short-cut.