cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing cigarette oder

malojeer
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently looking at a 01 30ft majestic that a friends mother in law owns, the only thing wrong with the rv is the elderly lady smoked in it and has a strong oder of cigarettes in it. Since me and my wife are non smokers do you have any advice in getting rid of smell? Should we pass on it. Any advice would be appreciated.
30 REPLIES 30

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
malojeer wrote:
Thanks for the replies. We decided to wait till something else comes along that we will be interested in. I don't have time for a project that this would turn out to be.

a wise decision IMHO. like they say another bus will be by in 20 minutes, give or take 30.
bumpy

malojeer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. We decided to wait till something else comes along that we will be interested in. I don't have time for a project that this would turn out to be.

ConnieP
Explorer
Explorer
I would say from experience that you should pass on it. We purchased a motorhome that we were told was from a non smoker. After it was closed up for a few weeks it started to smell. I scrubbed down the walls,furniture and ceiling and thought I took care of the problem but it continued to re-appear on humid days. We eventually removed all the carpet and replaced it with vinyl planks. It looked great and my husband said he didn't think it still smelled but it always bothered me.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
the car dealerships only have to destink them for the week it takes to sell them. probably left inside with all windows open, etc.
after they get closed up and left in humidity and heat, about 3 months after you buy them, you are stuck.
bumpy

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Talk to some folks at car dealerships in the area. They deal with the problem all the time on trade ins. There are professional companies that do that kind of work. See if they'll recommend one for you. Don't try to do it yourself. You don't have the equipment or the expertise.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I quit smoking at age 37 after my triple bypass operation in 1976. This was before second-hand smoke danger hazard was known.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Scrub and clean every surface with soap and water, this means the over head fans and skylights, A/C unbolt the lower part to clean the ducts, filters and carefully clean the fins on the cooling unit and around it, then take all the drawers out and clean in order to have access to the interior of all cabinet surfaces, take all drapes and valances out and wash several times remove the foam from seat and couch cushions and purchase new foam cushions, clean the dashboard as best as possible and front seats too, then clean as much off the carpet as you can remember that on some units there will be carpeting under furniture that is practically impossible to clean.

After you have done all of this you have an RV that still STINKS!

Go buy a new one with new car smell in it, you will regret purchasing the smelly one.

For all of you smokers out there, I started smoking a pipe, then cigarettes and then stopped more than 30 years ago, I do not object to a person smoking, I move up wind.

navegator

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
Fla904 wrote:
You should stop being wusses and take up smoking. That's the best and easiest solution.

Most brave smokers are not so brave in the hospital bed. Just saying.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bordercollie wrote:
should reduce odor to acceptable levels. )

that is the issue. what is the "acceptable level" for the OP? can they stand a little stink all the time. are they ultra sensitive? etc.
bumpy

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told by an authoritative source:

1. Cigarette smoking causes skin to wrinkle and women are the most sensitive to this.
2. Smoking cigarettes is the #1 cause of male impotence.
3. A burning cigarette has 200 times the amount of ionizing radiation as a microwave
color tv emits.
4.Nicotine is used as a pesticide.

I seriously would pass on this rv.

Fla904
Explorer
Explorer
You should stop being wusses and take up smoking. That's the best and easiest solution.

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
ASH Tray....The health issues should out weight any thing. second hand smoke is a deal breaker for non- smokers
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are both non smokers I would think it would come down to how much the smell of stale smoke bothers you. I inherited a small wooden dresser when my mother passed away over 15 years ago. She was a smoker so we used sprays. soap and water and smelly stuff in the drawers. 15 years later I can still notice a smell of smoke when I open the drawers.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Our first class C was an old beater. I sealed roof leaks and aired it out. There was some mold and cigarette smoke smell that gradually lessened by airing it out. Cleaning of cloth upholstery with vacuum and shampoo device and washing of wood and other surfaces should reduce odor to acceptable levels. Old shag carpet should be replaced (LOL)