cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roadmaster rear sway bar install

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I had a sway bar installed on rear of 2016 38Q Winnebago as part of my purchase at Camping World. I took my motorhome in for alignment at a shop I really trust and asked them to check it over as it seemed to be high on driver's side. They told me the sway bar was attached at a 45 degree angle instead of 90 to the frame. They said instructions were pretty clear it was to be perpendicular. So I had them redo the install. I don't have it back yet but curious if anyone with knowledge greater than mine knows if the attachment at an angle would make a difference.
5 REPLIES 5

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I think I am discovering they really screwed up the installation.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
yes a sway bar is actually a spring and only comes into play on a leaning condition so it resists body roll

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Correct, a sway bar-- whether installed parallel to chassis (correctly) or at 45 degrees (incorrectly) will have no affect on ride height/vehicle level unless the bar is installed with the end links at different levels (indicating a VERY poor installation).

Said another way, unless one wheel is at a different level (i.e. hole or bump) compared with the other wheel on that axle, the sway bar does NOTHING-- you could move it up and down with your little finger.

That is the beauty of a sway bar-- it does not add any spring rate/ride harshness when both wheels hit a bump at the same time. But it resists sway when one wheel moves to a different level than the other.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
I had a sway bar installed on rear of 2016 38Q Winnebago as part of my purchase at Camping World. I took my motorhome in for alignment at a shop I really trust and asked them to check it over as it seemed to be high on driver's side. They told me the sway bar was attached at a 45 degree angle instead of 90 to the frame. They said instructions were pretty clear it was to be perpendicular. So I had them redo the install. I don't have it back yet but curious if anyone with knowledge greater than mine knows if the attachment at an angle would make a difference.

the thing is a bar set at 45 dgrees or 90 would have no bearing on the vehicle being unlevel(higher on drivers side)
the bar would sit flat against the frame brackets and then they must have drilled the link bar holes in the wrong place to have the bar sit at a 45 degree angle (pretty pretty dumb)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a sway bar should be installed close to parallel to the chassis/ground.

Same with a track bar/panhard rod.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/