Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Top Removable Satellite Antenna

Suburban52
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I am installing a
KING MB700 Quick Release Roof Mount Kit for Quest Satellite Antenna. Kit did not come with screws to mount to roof, can someone tell me what length screw to use for mounting and what type of sealer to use. Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Suburban52
Explorer
Explorer
Removable mount installation went good. Used 1 1/2" screws from rv dealer. Unit mounted at the rear of mh, so if ever need to remove I just climb on ladder 2 rungs up unscrew cables and release mount to put satellite on ground. Hopefully it will stay on top 98% of the time. Thanks for the input on this project.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm assuming you are going to travel with the dish in place ? Maybe not ?

The problem I see is you're not able to see what's under the roof.
We are not sure what's under the roof where you plan to install the mount.
If the mfg supplies the hardware then the mfg accepts partial responsibility (liability) of the mounting. Being you are mounting it and not a paid installer, you assume the other half.
As you probably already know, you have to be very careful as to what you use, how deep you drill, into what you drill and if the structure is solid enough to accept it.

Ex: if you had a leak around a roof vent and it soaked the surrounding framework and the wood was compromised , then the hardware you use might not have the bite it needs to hold in gale force winds.
I went through this a few times with people already and some decided to just use it as a portable dish and place it on the roof if needed. That's what I did and that's how I use mine. I just felt it might be one less potential problem down the road. You get to the point where you just don't want to have deal one more rv issue.

If it would help decide, some of the truck camper people use a 3m product with no holes to drill to hold solar panels and such.
AFAIK, they have had good results. Im not sure how it would work on other items like a dish.

google search 'rvnet, truck camper 3m tape for solar roof installations'
you should get some rv.net links that might be of help .

Good luck with your project.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Stick her down with sikaflex 221 if you have solid roof.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
when I was considering mounting a dish on top, I thought I would use the top/horizontal tubes of the rear ladder to mount a platform on.
bumpy

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban52 wrote:
Yes, I know, they specifically tell me to decide. Why?

I have seen what is between my ceiling and roof and I would use caution . There are wires that run along the ceiling in my coach. I ran a new cable from front to rear for the TV.
Not knowing what to expect, the manufacturer is leaving it up to you to research your situation.

If I was to be doing this, I would want to have a visual from the inside where the fasteners may come through and go from there. Or do like my friend and just drill away and beat the odds one more time.

Suburban52
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I know, they specifically tell me to decide. Why?

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I checked the mfg pdf, youtube installation as well as Trailer Life installation and they all say the same thing.

The instructions show 9 mounting holes. They also advise 'you' to choose the type of hardware to use to mount it.
Are you really sure you want to drill 9 more holes into your rv roof ?

If you are sure and think it's a good idea, I would use Dicor self leveling sealant.
I am a little confused why the mfg. doesn't supply the tie down hardware . That would make me question, why ?