Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running rough fleetwood cornado

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here so if this post is in the wrong spot im sorry

Just got a 92 motor home that has a 454 in it. Hasn't been run or started in 2 years. I've put seafoam and 15 gallons of gas in it. It will start east and run but you have to feather the throttle to keep it running. If you let off it will die. However if you spray starter fluid in directly it will stay running. Any ideas what to check. I asked on Chevy page and some said the idle control valve. I had a guy look at it today and he said it's not that. Motor has 37k on it. When it was running and I was outside by the exhaust it sounded like it was skipping a little.
11 REPLIES 11

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that. It's not very far from me either!

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
RV engine repair

These guys are excellent and very reasonable, not to mention quick.

I was having engine issues while on a trip to Utah and they corrected the problem which was a dirty MAF sensor that was causing poor performance and o2 sensor errors.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Fatnjoe12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the help. When I bought it last week it had a quarter tank in it and I have since filled it to a little over 3/4 now. I have someone coming to change the fuel filter and do a pressure test on wendsday. The motor has the Tbi in it so if the filter dosent help then next is a Tbi rebuild and then injectors. Today I did start it and put it in reverse and moved it about 10' then back in forward just to try to move stuff around. It did seem to help a little. But not sure if it was that or the fact I have it about 90% throttle a few times and revved it way up. Last question. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Salt Lake City Utah area? I'm young but unfortunately I have kidney failure and can't do much due to weakness. All this has to be done by a mechanic. Thank you all!!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fuel pump could also be causing some of the problems you mention.

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Fatnjoe12 and Welcome to the Forum!

Based on your description, the issue is lack of sufficient fuel flow. While plugged injectors could cause that and the Seafoam should help clear it up the item you need to attend to next is to replace the fuel filter. Often forgotten and usually the cause of such grief.

Best of Luck!
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Check the distributor cap and rotor for corrosion. All of the above ideas have merit.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would pour the Seafoam directly down the throttle body until engine stalls, let it sit for 15 mins then restart it(read directions on the can). I would also check your sparkplug wires at night to see if they are sparking to ground. If problem still exist check your fuel pump pressure. The IAC can be checked and cleaned easily. Sometimes carbon builds up on the pintle. From your post it is hard to tell if it is a fuel problem or an ignition problem, but if you do these simple things first and report back you will solve the problem. Good Luck.

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
booty51 wrote:
I agree with Hipower. Might as well try getting the generator going to, it probably has the same problem. Since you are heavily treating the fuel with seafoam.

Good point, but might require additional fuel to raise the tank to the level required for the generator to pick it up.

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Hipower. Might as well try getting the generator going to, it probably has the same problem. Since you are heavily treating the fuel with seafoam.

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience Seafoam is about as good as it gets for what you are trying to do.

If you haven't already change all of the fuel filters and add another dose of Seafoam. Then run it several times a day for a couple days letting things work their magic and see if things don't improve before digging into the carb or replacing it.

You have very little to lose and the results may suprise you.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are notorious for dried up gas clogging everything. Especially if yours is a carburetor or throttle body engine...fuel injectors are also subject to gumming up. I suspect a thorough cleaning of the entire fuel system will be required. There are getting to be so few mechanics capable of carburetor rebuilding, replacement's usually in order. If you've ever taken anything apart that has dried gas in it, it becomes obvious that no chemical will completely dissolve those deposits. Mechanical cleaning (or boiling in a hot tank) is necessary. Seafoam helps keep deposits at bay but something really gummed up won't benefit from it.