cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rust Underneath on Chassis

mhbell
Explorer
Explorer
I have read several posts on people worrying about Rust on the chassis underneath of Motor Homes. What is the big deal? I would expect most undersides of motor homes after a couple of years to have lots rust underneath, especially if based in northern areas where they use salt on the roads and in coastal areas. The under carrage of my motor home has lots of rust on chassis frame and some of the parts. It was based in Tacoma Wa for 8 or 9 years before I bought it. The rust on the underside of my present motor home is not flaking kind of rust, but the frame and other parts are rusty colored. I don't feel it is anything to really worry about. If it had been in a flood that would be another story. Anyone care to comment.
Mel
🙂
2004 Thor Four Winds Infinity R32 Class A Motor Home with F-53 Ford Chassis. Toad is a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
17 REPLIES 17

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I use my MH when I want where I want and if the darn frame rusts out I will get a new one or fix the one I have.
I could get in an accident or have storm damage or some other problem.
The thinking of not using it because it might rust or some other calamity befall the rig it would mean it has to sit in a temperature and humidity controlled concrete bunker so it is protected. THAT IS NOT WHY I HAVE A RIG.
Use it and do not worry about what might happen

Wow!! I don't drive it during the winter by choice, not because I'm concerned about something happening to the RV. The Southwind is usually snowed in.

I do drive my Suburban all winter in the snow, ice and salt. Feel better? 🙂

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use my MH when I want where I want and if the darn frame rusts out I will get a new one or fix the one I have.
I could get in an accident or have storm damage or some other problem.
The thinking of not using it because it might rust or some other calamity befall the rig it would mean it has to sit in a temperature and humidity controlled concrete bunker so it is protected. THAT IS NOT WHY I HAVE A RIG.
Use it and do not worry about what might happen
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't worry about surface rust.

I also don't drive our Southwind on the salt covered roads. It sits in the yard during the winter.