cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV entry door

KDroadgolfers
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a 37' Coachmen Mirada. The bar on the underbelly of the entry door just popped off. Nothing appears to be broken. The end of the bar that is detached has treads on it (they don't appear worn or damaged). The little piece of hardware still attached to the underbelly of the door also looks undamaged. Both that piece, and the other end of the bar (which is attached to the entry way step plate) both appear to be attached with some type of ball/socket hardware that could possibly be "popped out". I need to either detach the end of the bar still attached to the entry way step plate, or the hardware piece still attached to the underbelly of the door in order to be able to turn the bar and screw the threaded end back in. I am reluctant to try to pop off either end of the ball/socket pieces lest I break something and then need a new part. Has anyone dealt with this problem and happen to know if there is a way to pop either end off of the ball/socket attachment? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

KDroadgolfers
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces, it worked exactly as you described. Got the one end off at the step plate, screwed the other threaded end into the hardware on the underbelly of the door and popped the other end back on the ball, snapped the band back in place and problem fixed! Thank you so much. Much appreciated.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a gas shock, designed to hold the door open when open and reduce slamming. IF the end piece has come out of the shock.. I do not know how they are held in so I can't help you. Had the end piece came off the ball... That I can fix but I've never seen the failure you posted. I suspect it's a press fit.

The part is non-critical. I'd remove the screws that hold the other end. and the part that came off and play with it (myself) or take it to ye old RV store for replacement. they are not all that expensive.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
On your top picture see that thin band around the socket? Take a small screwdriver and pry up that thin band. Once it's up you can pull the bar or socket off the ball. This is by design and you're not going to break anything doing so. Once the piece is removed from the ball you can snap the band back down onto the socket.

Thread the piece back into the socket and figure out the length adjustment. Once it's where you want it put the socket over the ball and push down to snap it on.

If you don't get the adjustment correct just lift the band and pop the socket off the ball again. The real key to this whole puzzle is to make sure the band is on the socket before you try to push it back onto the ball.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

KDroadgolfers
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if this worked but here are url links to both ball/socket pieces of hardware.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Some have a small wire that keeps the ball in the socket. If it came apart, rather it unscrewed or the threads are no good and it pulled apart.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you post a picture of the ball/socket?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate