cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV fridge wont light.

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
After 15 tears of use our RV fridge won't self ignite. Works fine when the RV is plugged in, but when unplugged will not self ignite. Useally I can hear the igniter clicking, trying to ignite. Is this something I can trouble shoot, or does it have to go to the shop? thanks for any advice, Chris.
Every day is a good day to ride, just some better than others.
1997 Fleetwood Flair
Towing either a 24 or 14 ft trailer full of motorcycles
9 REPLIES 9

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
cman60 wrote:
New batteries in camper, just odd you could always hear the igniter sparking from inside the camper trying to light the fridge.Has always lit the fridge after 2-3 tries. Again, no sound. ( clicking
Chris just because the batteries are new does not mean they are fully charged or that there is not some corrosion, or loose connection somewhere that is reducing the amps to the refer. I would start by checking to ensure you have good voltage to the refer. Then check the ignighter as Ivy log and fulltimer suggested.

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
New batteries in camper, just odd you could always hear the igniter sparking from inside the camper trying to light the fridge.Has always lit the fridge after 2-3 tries. Again, no sound. ( clicking
1997 Fleetwood Flair

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
In your first post you say that the refer works fine when plugged in but not when unplugged. Maybe your battery is not fully charged. The gas cycle still needs 12+ volts to work. I would check to see what your reading is in the back of the refer and post the voltage reading here.

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
Igniter should be 3/16" from the burner, more than that and you may not get a spark.
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. There is no "clicking sound" when trying to use the on board switch in the kitchen, Was always very audible. The rest of the board---Battery charge, waste water level, ect. ect is all working just fine. I will go out and see if I can figure out the igniter part. Thanks again.
1997 Fleetwood Flair

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
if there is no clicking after cleaning the burner remove the igniter. Wrap the white portion with electrical and put most of the way back in without the screw. If it now works you need a new igniter.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Can you hear it now. If so you may need to clean the burner.

cman60 wrote:
After 15 tears of use our RV fridge won't self ignite. Works fine when the RV is plugged in, but when unplugged will not self ignite. Useally I can hear the igniter clicking, trying to ignite. Is this something I can trouble shoot, or does it have to go to the shop? thanks for any advice, Chris.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Remove the sht metal box surrounding the burner tube then vacuum or blow out the rust flakes on top of the burner . If it still does not light remove the burner and clean the rust particles that have settled inside the burner tube and clean the orifice at the same time. While the burner tube is out check the slots to see if they are rusted out, if so the burner will have to be replaced. Just removing the rust flakes from the slots will probably get you refer working again but if you have not cleaned it before it would be a good idea. Does it light for a few secs then go out or does not light at all?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
No igniter click means one of two things. Either the igniter or the control board is bad. New igniter is cheap so replace that first. If thats not it then its a bad board.