cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Window blinds / coverings maintenance - replacement, etc

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
I did a forum search using blinds, and window coverings. Didn't find much.

Can any of you share your experiences with this subject? I am still adjusting to the DIY differences between stick homes and RVs. I never had the patience or skill to work on cars; but with rentals, I became somewhat competent with 'home' repairs. Not looking forward to pulling mouldings and cabinets to replace my existing window blinds.

They are dual layered, a light wt. privacy screen on the inside, and a heavier light blocking layer on the interior, accordion creased fabric with string running thru both on either side. each layer can be operated separately.

After 4 months or so, I just lost my 2nd one. The friction of use broke the stringing. I am assuming a function of age, despite active avoidance of strong arming and inattention.
Restringing them seems to be labor intensive and nominal, considering their age.
Is this a 'Blinds are Us' order online solution? Are there similar solutions that are MH / RV specific that any of you have used?

On a 98 Pace Arrow, I can't tell if they are original or not. I'm leaning towards replacement, which will require seven -7- total. I'm guessing this will be the 2nd time, as it appears the carpet has been replaced once -at least- and the drapes and blinds match the current color scheme. it's just getting old, and I am gonna keep breaking em one at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm presently in S Texas, with plans to move towards Midland, if that's any help to those in this area.

Thanks in advance.

1998 Pace Arrow 36L
V10 Triton
94 Geo Tracker toad
6 REPLIES 6

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced mine with MCD shades. You can go there and put them in yourself and have them close by incase of trouble.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When mine broke I tied the broken ends together with a square knot. There is a lot of excess string. What I learned is you can't have these too tight. I think I wound mine around the knob too many times to keep it from vibrating down, which caused the line to break. Also sometimes the grommet that the string slides on could come out of the hole causing the line to wear and break.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
70 pound test braided Dacron line works very well. $10 at BassPro or equivalent gets you enough for about 100 restringings.

southpark
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Many of us restring with heavy duty fishing line, as it is a lot stronger and will not fray.

Since the OP might not fish I thought I would throw out there that this probably refers to something like a dyneema braided fishing line rather than monofilament; though someone who has actually done the procedure can correct me if I'm wrong.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of websites outlining how to restring these blinds. It's fussy, but not difficult. Many of us restring with heavy duty fishing line, as it is a lot stronger and will not fray.

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
I've replaced the strings in several .. after the learning curve of the first, the rest are a breeze
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C