cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling Canadian Registered Rig in USA

Globetrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there. Firstly sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere and I missed it or if this is the wrong forum for my question.

We purchased our current rig in the USA a # of years ago and then imported it to Canada.
I am curious if there are any implications should we decide to take it back to the USA and then sell it there.
As it was built there, has all the stickers, title I am thinking it should be pretty straight forward other than any purchaser wanting to check for liens.
Any idea's or experience on this topic would be really appreciated.
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Globetrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I now have the information I was looking for.
Take care,

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Your title has been canceled . You cannot just return with the unit. It will have to be reimported. For the real skinny you need to contact US Customs.

Moisheh

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That reminds me.
FL and CA are the only states that check RV for moths, while WA and OR check boat for mussels.
That applies to each state lane crossing, selling or not.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is correct about the customs inspections. When I brought the Corvette back it had to be fumigated to kill any agricultural pests in Europe, and then put in a 20' container. The container was delivered to customs here in the USA where they did a quick walk around with the drug dog, and then they released it to me. I drove it out of the container and home. With an RV I am not sure what customs would inspect, especially after it is already across the border other than to check for drugs and to verify the paperwork, since it was built in the USA.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought Barth in Canada before 9/11. It was US build and had all the stickers.
Canadians wave me thru, while US officer shout from the window "How many Mexicans you hid there?"
When I shook my head that none, he waved me thru. I had no licence plate as seller had to keep it in Canada.
Later in US I had to go to US customs for inspection, but I live close to Oakland port, so that was not an issue.
Don't know if the law changed since then, but if you want to get good price in US, get that inspection done ahead of time.

Globetrotter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
I also just learned there is a form that Custom & Border Protection needs to authorize for me stating the vehicle conforms to USA standards or that it did when it was manufactured there. Without that form I or anyone else could not register it in the USA. The unit has all the DOT stickers etc and I have the title that it came with.
It should be straight forward enough and just a matter of some paperwork. As we have owned it for well over a year there will not be any duty issues.
Thanks again!!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would not think that there would be a problem. I have bought American made cars in foreign countries and brought them back to the USA. The last one I bought was a Corvette in Belgium and even tho the people at the DMV could not read what was said on the foreign title they could make out the VIN and I had no problem registering it in the USA. I would think that with a clear Canadian title the VIN could easily be established and transfer to the new owner would be easy.