cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shore power and motorhome engine running

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Is it ok to crank the engine when connected to shore power? I have a deisel motorhome. Often if I am only connected to 20 or 30 amp I crank the engine when operating the slides. Also when sitting idle at my house connected to house power I will occasonally crank the engine to let it run. Is this ok to do?
12 REPLIES 12

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I am so pleased to hear these true statements about diesel engines! Where I live there are quite a few folks who think they must not turn off their diesels when stopping for lunch or shopping. Manufacturer recommendations and even trucker magazine articles on the subject don't seem to affect these folks.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why you're starting the engine without driving it. If the vehicle is going to sit, it should be prepared accordingly. Just starting and letting the engine idle is not doing it any good and quite possibly is detrimental. You are not getting a diesel up to proper operating temps without loading it.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
" I also just realized that when I crank the generator the power switches from shore power to generator power"

You have a auto transfer switch and there has been and I am sure will be more debate on what I am going to say. IMHO you should unhook from shore power before starting the generator. It probably would not happen but with the transfer switch receiving voltage from the shore side and generator side it could possibly burn itself out from constantly switching back and forth between the two. Again IMHO not likely but why take the chance.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Use our inverter all the time while on the road.
There is a switch to turn it on/off.
DW likes to watch TV and it powers our router/VZ air card. So she can do here internet.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
jtcpartners wrote:
I have a 2008 37' Jayco Seneca MS 38 Class C diesel with Chevy 5500 Duramax with Allison transmission. Good idea about using the tester. I really appreciate all these tips! I crank and run the engine for 5 minutes or so and not longer. I do take it for a drive at least once a month but try and go camping more often so it doesn't sit idle long. Can't wait for Aug. 30 for out 1 month trip west!

The TV won't operate while you are driving unless the previous owner disabled the saftey disconnect. There is a purple or red wire going to the back of the TV outlet, if you cut or disconnect that wire the TV will function while the engine is running. If you have the 1,800 watt inverter the only 3 items that work off the inverter are the microwave and the 2 TV's, if you have the 400 watt only the front TV works.

Also it is not recommended to run the engine unless you let it get to operating temperature. Short cycles build up too much moisture in the oil.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 37' Jayco Seneca MS 38 Class C diesel with Chevy 5500 Duramax with Allison transmission. Good idea about using the tester. I really appreciate all these tips! I crank and run the engine for 5 minutes or so and not longer. I do take it for a drive at least once a month but try and go camping more often so it doesn't sit idle long. Can't wait for Aug. 30 for out 1 month trip west!

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
It isn't good to let your engine to sit and idle for over 20 to 30 min. Diesel's like a load and the transmission needs some exercise also. Not to mention the brakes need it also.

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
What brand /type MH?
She lets Grumpy drive!!

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
usually not all of your 120 Volt AC outlets are powered by the invertor. I would get one of those 3light testers and turn the inverter on without shore power or generator power and test each outlet and mark those that have invertor power. That is the only way to know which outlet will be powered from the invertor, and you can use the invertor while driving down the road and the alternator should recharge the batteries as you drive, within reason, depending on how much draw you are taking out. Make the test and have fun.

polarity tester
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Yes, you can run the inverter. There may be a safety interlock that keeps the inverter from powering up the television.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting me know! I also just realized that when I crank the generator the power switches from shore power to generator power and that I should turn off the a/c until it is switched over. Now I need to understand the invertor. Can I have the invertor on while driving down the road so that I can plug in something like a computer charger? I tried it once and the outlet I tried wasn't hot. Sorry if I'm going on and on but fixing to take our first long trip (1 month) and trying to get my head right about all this so nothing goes wrong.....

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
No problem at all, there is no connection between the two.
She lets Grumpy drive!!