cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shortest 6 volt battery

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Three of my 4 NAPA 6 volt batteries split their cases most likely due to our incredibly cold weather this Winter.

I need to replace them but they were a bit tall to begin with for my existing slides. I was able to make them work but everything was really tight.

The NAPA 8144 I had measured 10 7/8 tall and I'd love to find a battery that was no taller than 10".

Anyone have any ideas? The Trojans I could find appear to tall. I may go back to 12 volt to gain a shorter battery.

Thanks.
2013 American Coach Revolution pulling a
2015 Stacker housing an
Alky Injected BBC Front Engine Dragster and two Junior Dragsters
13 REPLIES 13

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Wa8yxm, provide a link to 6V batteries that are shorter than golf cart 6V's???

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
BCI Group Size Type Capacity Amp-Hours (20-Hr Rate) Terminal Options Length Width Height Weight
GC2 T-105 225 AH ELPT, EHPT, EAP, EUT, LT 10.375" 7.125" 10.875" 62 lbs. From a Trojan site,
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Johnny G1 wrote:
Trojan 105s are 10.875 ins tall, under 11 ins.

My Source Trojan Battery spec.pdf

Says 11.05 inches tall. They should know.
Different Trojan sites give different size, they use to be 10 7/8 in tall and still show that on some of their sites.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johnny G1 wrote:

My Source Trojan Battery spec.pdf

Says 11.05 inches tall. They should know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mena661 wrote:
Golf cart 6V's are the shortest 6V's you can get.

No, they are not, However they are the best for use as house batteries.

(See above, i did the research as did the OP and we both found the same thing)

GOlf car six volts are all over 11 inches.. I found a marine/Deep cycle, not the best choice that was under 11 inches.

And of course I have a couple small AGM's around here that would dang near fit in you pocket, in fact they WILL fit in the pocket of my coat.

Many folks in these forums forget that there are many different special use batteries and they come in so many sizes and shapes you it's hard to imagine, as an Electroincs techinican I know that
"Six volt battery" or "12 volt battery" is 100 percent useless as information goes.. Though USUALLY when folks here speak of six volt's they are talking about a GC-2,, So that's not quite as bad.

But then they ask things like Are two sixes better than two 12's... NOT if the sixes are GC-2 and the 12's are 8D,, or worse yet.. I once borrowed a battery for a Ham radio Field Day operation.. About 3/4 of a TON of lead acid battery.. A forklift set it on the trailer, and it STAYED on the trailer.. The same forklift lifted it off the following Monday... Oh, the forklift.. Was powered by a twin of that battery.

So, do not box your thinking and include ALL the info when talking about batteries.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Group 24 12's will have the same footprint as the 6's and be shorter.

You will lose capacity, but gain clearance.

4's 6's wired for 12v will give you ~440AH, 4 G24's wired for 12v will give you ~320AH.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Golf cart 6V's are the shortest 6V's you can get.

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
"I found no six volt DEEP cycle under 11 inches"

That is what my research revealed as well. NAPA is warrantying the 3 split batteries so I am going to stay with them and modify the battery trays this Winter for the added height. A shorter battery would be soooo much easier though!

Thanks for all the help!
2013 American Coach Revolution pulling a
2015 Stacker housing an
Alky Injected BBC Front Engine Dragster and two Junior Dragsters

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
But a Group 31 is a 12 volt battery and usually a Marine/Deep cycle, not a true deep cycle. He currently has six volt pairs (2 pair). I found no six volt DEEP cycle under 11 inches, the only ones under 11 inches were marine/deep cycle (US-battery) they also had one under 10 inches but it was a small (Capacity wise) Battery as well.

I would visit the usual suspects web pages
Deka (East pen battery)
US-Gear
Interstate
Trojan
And if you like AGM batteries LIFELINE.

They all have charts which list battery sizes and then find a dealer and if needed have him order what you need.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to go with a group 31, it is a little larger capacity than the group 27, and normally will last a bit longer. Not nearly as long as good golf cart batteries.

IF you keep the battery charged, then they typically will not freeze. If you can not plug them in at home, then I suggest removing them and storing them in the garage (keep them off the concrete, it conducts away to much heat) and keep them on a battery maintainer, that can put out about 1 amp per hour.

Trojan, Napa and others make group 31 batteries - just make sure it is a deep cycle, more than one designed to start engines. It also MUST have a place to add water if you want it to last more than 2 years.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

This may help:

battery group sizes
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.