cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side View Mirror Replacement

dwenzel2
Explorer
Explorer
The end of last year riding home from our last camping trip, our passenger side view mirror fell off. Smashed to pieces on the ground while we were going about 50 mph. Funny thing another camping friend of ours had the same thing happen to them the beginning of the summer. We ordered a replacement mirror and plan to put this on soon but were thinking about putting long bolts through to the inside of the RV with a solid wood block on the inside to hold this better due to the weight of the mirror. Wondered if others have had similar issues or other idea's for making this secure?
6 REPLIES 6

3sacrwd
Explorer
Explorer
I need to do the same thing. My DS mirror is very shakey, and I cannot get longer, or bigger screws to bite well. If I do all the way through to the cab, it will be visible above my dash, but I may not have a choice I will have to do something to hide it, but not sure what. If anyone has them all the way through in a visible area, then pics would be appreciated.
1997 Forest River Reflection 38' DP

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My drivers side window was loose and began to vibrate. When it looked closer it was held in by 1 1/2 inch screws that became loose due to some water damage. I bought (4) 3 in screws from Lowes and installed a 1 in thk oak backing board on the inside of the MH between the inside wall and dash. The long screws go through the oak board and plastic dash and securely hold the mirror in place.

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
In my last MoHo (1990) had the same thing happen. screws pulled out of the side. I did what you are planning but used a small piece of fiber board on the inside then bolts and washers all the way through the side. There was just enough room between the edge of the dash and the wall for the washer and nut. the small board was needed because without it the more you tightened the bolt the more it sqeezed the wall together. pretty rotted out.
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
dwenzel2 wrote:
Mr Mark, We have a 2004 Damon Challanger and the mirror on ours just screws in, doesn't go all the way through.

If you don't have access to the back of the mirror bolts I don't see how a longer screw will help much. Unless, it was a molly-bolt type of screw application.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

dwenzel2
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Mark, We have a 2004 Damon Challanger and the mirror on ours just screws in, doesn't go all the way through.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
dwenze12, you don't say what type of motorhome you have but our mirrors are installed the way you describe. The bolts go through the fiberglass and have large washers with washer locks to keep the back of the bolt on secure. I can access through the front generator area.

I've had to tighten the bolts a couple of times as vibrations had loosened them over the years.

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins