cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sky deck

apollo79
Explorer
Explorer
:@Hi,I'm new to RV traveling. I'm looking into a used class A or C, my Wife and I enjoy stargazing and I'm wondering if its possible to build a open deck on top. I'm worried about the height of a class A being to tall to be legal on highways. thank you for any information.
6 REPLIES 6

MrWizard
i think with the 'right' class A bus coach
you could mount something,
but it would have to have fold down/collapsible rails for travel/transit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect some of the heavier duty Class A's would have a better chance of handling a platform addition of some sort. Bluebird's and Wanderlodge's that come to mind. I do not know Class C's well enough to name any that might have more rugged construction.

Of course, just hiking a bit away from the coach could bring you into a better position, especially while in a campground environment.

Have fun on your research, and search for an RV,
Smitty

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Airstream built one for a couple of years - even had a stairway inside for access. You got where you were going, went topside and raised up the side railings - it was like a party boat topside, with bench seats, coolers, umbrella tables, etc. Just google "airstream sky deck" for more info...

I actually saw one of those at the Freightliner repair facility at Gaffney, SC earlier in the week. It looked like a pretty neat idea.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream built one for a couple of years - even had a stairway inside for access. You got where you were going, went topside and raised up the side railings - it was like a party boat topside, with bench seats, coolers, umbrella tables, etc. Just google "airstream sky deck" for more info...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful. Skylights are nice, but adding height to it is going to put you close, or over height on many, or all underpasses, power lines, trees, light posts, etc. Much more than a skylight, and you're messing with the structural integrity of a large rig on the highway.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
They actually have motorhomes with a second level deck, but they are built that way from the factory. As for adding a deck, not sure what you have in mind but I'm sure you could build one on top of your RV. Just keep in mind the roof is not designed for it so you may fall through it and you'll like have a huge problem with leaks. I'd never do it.

If you're interested in star gazing, is being 10 feet closer to the stars going to make that much of a difference?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4