cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow diesel fuel filling

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
True confession: I've owned a 2007 National Tropical since new...that's not the confession. I have had extreme difficulty refueling this coach since it was new...That's clue number one. I have read here and elsewhere that folks have discovered the fuel tank vent hose coiled above the fuel tank. Well, this past winter I got soaked refueling in a rainstorm ( it took me almost 45 minutes to fuel up about 50 gallons). Now the good news, Altrui Truck Sales, in East Providence, RI, dropped the tank and corrected the problem. Today I successfully added 74 gallons in approx 10 minutes. So, when you hear of a fix on this forum - - take advantage of the knowledge base...I'm a happy camper with a full fuel tank and I'm plotting my winter trip.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake
7 REPLIES 7

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same problem with our Winnebago. We found that doing the on/off thing too many times at a Pilot/Flying J truck lane causes the pump to turn off. Doesn't matter if I prepay or use their card. Works fine in the RV Lanes. Isn't a problem at any other station, just takes a long time. We will have to have the vent hose checked. Thanks
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

subtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Great info! Our 2004 National Tropical has the same issue for ten years. I seldom can fill using the nozzle in automatic and always fill by hand at Truck stops. A minor frustration since I can only fill from the passenger side and usually with the slave pump so my wife has to call out the gallon pumped or I stop before its filled.

What did it cost to drop the tank?
2004 National Tropi-cal Sterling 396
2003 Jeep Liberty

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
I rv - your 2001 Tradewinds has a fill on both sides??? That would be wonderful, as my 2001 Tradewinds only has a fill on the passenger side....which has made for some interesting fuel stops.........
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

I_rv
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 national tradewinds had/has the problem but I get around it by removing the fuel cap on the opposite side from the fill side.

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear that you got it fixed. Problem now is the fuel can really flow a lot faster out of the tank, so your fuel milage may drop. 🙂
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
The vent line was coiled on top of the tank therefore inhibiting air from escaping the tank as fuel was put into the tank...prior to fix, the tank would regurgitate the fuel if you put it in too quickly...
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

kampy1
Explorer
Explorer
How did they "fix the problem"?