cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Steer Axle Hub inner seal needed Monaco Roadmaster

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I have a 2003 Monaco Roadmaster R4R, Cayman 34, DP, and my front hub is leaking. I need a Part Number, any help appreciated.

Thanks
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.
13 REPLIES 13

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kidoo wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
If it helps, just today I was scanning all my old receipts into digital format and I found the one where I repaired this exact same problem in 2013. I had it done at the Freightliner dealer (most expensive place) and they replaced the brake pads. Total charge was $294.90. I'd gladly pay $300 again over trying this job myself.

Do you have part number for the seal?

No, but I don't have the same motorhome as you either.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
If it helps, just today I was scanning all my old receipts into digital format and I found the one where I repaired this exact same problem in 2013. I had it done at the Freightliner dealer (most expensive place) and they replaced the brake pads. Total charge was $294.90. I'd gladly pay $300 again over trying this job myself.

Do you have part number for the seal?
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"Kidoo".....Your Cayman has drum brakes. Where are you seeing a caliper and disc?

Call this company.....they specialize in Monacos. They may have the seals, or at least the part.

Source

Well, I just had the rear caliper and disc replaced, I took it myself to the garage. I will do the front, yes I have disc brakes!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

Me too, but I was afraid to drive the coach with it pulling hard when the brake was applied.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Kidoo".....Your Cayman has drum brakes. Where are you seeing a caliper and disc?

Call this company.....they specialize in Monacos. They may have the seals, or at least the part.

Source
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
I have Oil Hub, I guess I would prefer grease, no leak.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Thanks eveyone, I guess I will tackle this job myself. I saw a write up from a guy that made himself a tool to remove the wheel and the Hub, not as a whole unit but seperatly. I will replace the brake pad at the same time and check the brake disk, my galiper look ok but I might change it too, it is a 2003 and maybe time to replace it.

I just wonder what is the torque or adjustment for the bearings?

This job is not difficult, but does require a wrench to fit the axle nut, they are special sized and not found in a socket set. plus you will need a new locking key to replace the old one that gets bent to lock the axle nut in place. The torque on the axle nut is " spin the wheel, tighten until all freeplay is gone, and back off to the nearest place to key.
This is a prime time to up grade to the new hub oil. and do not over fill.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks eveyone, I guess I will tackle this job myself. I saw a write up from a guy that made himself a tool to remove the wheel and the Hub, not as a whole unit but seperatly. I will replace the brake pad at the same time and check the brake disk, my galiper look ok but I might change it too, it is a 2003 and maybe time to replace it.

I just wonder what is the torque or adjustment for the bearings?

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Hi, I have a 2003 Monaco Roadmaster R4R, Cayman 34, DP, and my front hub is leaking. I need a Part Number, any help appreciated.

Thanks

I've done a couple of those seals and, it's a fairly straight forward job. I have the part number for my rear but, not my front. If you decide to tackle this job yourself, do not, repeat DO NOT, remove the wheel and tire AND THE HUB AS A UNIT! While some shops MAY do this as a time saver, a D/P wheel and tire hovers around 120-140 lbs, depending on tire size and all that. Adding a drum or disc to that is just adding more danger in moving that large mass around. Then, it's more of a pain in the a$$ to get the bearings adjusted with all that counter weight.
So, just remove the tire and wheel, then remove the hub.

As for you NEEDING BRAKES TOO, well, not necessarily. That depends on a lot of things. If your seal has leaked enough just to make a spot or two on the front shoes, it's highly possible to EXTRACT that oil from them. I've done it a zillion times. I've used the brand name "Brakleen" quite a few times but, there's others on the market for the same purpose. If, the shoes are severely coated and saturated, well, then it's more than likely time for shoes. And this all is assuming you have SHOES. You might have pads (disc brakes).

But, in any case, it's not hard to pull the front hub, turn it over and find a part number. Amazon beat all the local auto parts places when I was searching but, that's not always the case. It pays to shop around. Some of those seals run upwards of $40-$50 or so. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:

Thanks

You will also need a set of brake shoes, NAPA carries them.

What's your location, it may take a couple days shipping.

Bruce_Brown
Are you planning on fixing it yourself or getting the parts together for a shop to do it?

If a shop is doing it chances are they'd have one in stock.

If you're doing it as mentioned you could take it apart and chances are NAPA would have one in stock.

It should be a pretty common seal - should be.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

GGCIII
Explorer
Explorer
You may have to pull the old seal to get the correct part number.