cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange house battery issue

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
My rig is a 1993 fleetwood 30ft chevy class a.

So i think i need a little education before i can properly explain whats happening, but I’ll try. When plugged in, all my 12v powered items are struggling as if the house batteries are dead. The furnace blows slowly and doesnt light, the hot water heater doesnt light, the lights in the cieling are dim, etc.

So i guess my question is, why arent the batteries charging? How are the house batteries “tendered”?

If i shut off the house batteries while its plugged in, everything gets even more weak. Its like im not getting enough voltage to my 12v appliances. The 115v outlets are fine. Im not sure where to start.
1993 fleetwood coronado 30’ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did
19 REPLIES 19

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start with the basics first what does the 120v outlet read where you plug in? Plug in MH what is the output of your converter? Should be 13 plus volts or better. Next check the voltage across the pos and neg terminals of your battery, what does it read? Unplug MH and check voltage again the following day what does it read? Post these readings and you will find your problem.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Bad batteries can cause some strange symptoms. If I were you, I would check them first.
Like said above, a voltmeter is needed to do a proper diagnosis. Maybe you can get an electrical person to help you.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Make and model of converter?

Use a volt meter to check voltage under load.

How old are the batteries?

How long to you charge them before a trip?

Have you ever equalized the battery bank?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the power converter/charger does two things simultaneously while plugged into shore power or when the genny is running:

- it charges the house battery (or batteries). it usually does not charge the chassis (starting battery)
- it converts 120vac to 12vdc and powers your 12vdc appliances. lights, rv fridge, etc.

it sounds like one of two things are wrong.

- there should be two circuit breakers on the converter. one or both may have tripped. if so your batteries will not be charged. that could explain what you’re experiencing.

- the converter is kaput and should be replaced.

- disconnect from shore power and don’t run the genny. are your lights still dim? if yes then using a battery hydrometer check the state of charge in each cell of each battery. i’ll bet the charge is low. if so disconnect the cables from each battery and using a standard automotive battery charger charge them overnight. reconnect the batteries and while still disconnected from shore power and the genny off see if your lights and other 12v stuff is normal.

- if you’re handy and can use a multimeter check the voltage coming IN to the converter (should be ~120vav). then check the output voltage (should be 12vdc)

betcha your converter is dead.

good luck.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like your converter is shot. Can not help you on where it located, but it might be close to your power cord when it comes in to the RV.

Looking Online it shows some were next to the heater inlet behind a door.