cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck Basement Door

SoCal_Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
While I was attempting to check my basement A/C's filter I discovered the door to the compartment is stuck. The handle comes up when you pull it but it is not causing the locks to release on either side and the door won't budge. Any ideas that can help me open my door?

Also, the A/C is in a self-contained compartment - in other words, I cannot access it from behind.

Thanks,

Kevin
SoCal Kevin
1995 HR Navigator
M11 400 Cummins
Allison HD 4060
Ready Brute Towbar; 2000 Suburban Toad
5 REPLIES 5

SoCal_Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions - I should be in good shape. Although I have not yet opened the A/C access basement door, I see how I should be able to. Since that particular compartment does not have a bottom it looks like I can reach the locks with a screwdriver to release them.

During the very same trip this weekend, I had another basement door lock mechanism goof up. I had my daughter crawl through and unlock it (whew!). I was able to fix it easily, but now I am a little gun-shy - what the heck is up with the basement door locks??? I guess it was just their time...
SoCal Kevin
1995 HR Navigator
M11 400 Cummins
Allison HD 4060
Ready Brute Towbar; 2000 Suburban Toad

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
That happened to my 1993 Navigator, which I believe is identical to yours. I eventually got it open without damaging the door or the door frame, but I've forgotten just exactly what I did. I think I opened the door to the next compartment and used a screwdriver to push the latch back.

Since it is the air condition compartment, you can go from under the coach where the compartment is vented. You should be able to access the latch from under that compartment going to the right of the air conditioning unit. (I built extra sewer hose storage here, so I know there is some room.)
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
Want to use my crowbar?

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
i was able to access screws by opening door next to broken latch and removing screws inside good luck ken
ken

trop-a-cal
Explorer
Explorer
I see it's a 1995 HR Navigator from looking at your profile. Since it is that old perhaps the seals are rusted to the flanges. That may mean you can release it by placing something flat into the seal area and slidding it around the perimeter to break the seal. This may mean the seals will break and be damaged. So as long as it opens you will then have to deal with replacing them. I would use a kitchen butter knife and with a sawing motion it should do the trick. Unless some other reason is causing it, as experienced by a HR owner on this sight, that's about all I can come up with for logic of the handles being opened and it still not releasing. Good luck.