Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

supersteer springs

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
Install 3900 lb front super steer springs. Just took on a 400 mile trip
there sweet fixed all the issues no more sway and bobbing. My coach only has 45,000 miles on it so all is nice and tight . even high winds are no issue took the mystery out of winds pushing coach around . now if winds push it its felt in steering wheel witch makes it up to diver to control . Before airbags gave it a bobbing rocking feel Im sure springs were weak also . and no more airbags ๐Ÿ™‚ amen . only issue I had was alignment was bit tricky to get right. So thumbs up :B to the super steer guys getting me the right springs . Just another happy camper .

Itasca55

I did all the work except alignment .
6 REPLIES 6

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just made the plunge and installed the Supersteer springs on my coach after one airbag finally gave out.

All I can say is WOW. What a huge difference in handling.

No more white knuckle adventures.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Itasca55 wrote:
mci7 wrote:
Glad your happy with the springs, am thinking they are like the safety steer spring kit, trying to keep you on the road ?
When I bought my MC7, it had that junk installed, I removed it, rebuilt the front end back to new, meaning new everything from the king pins, tie rod ends, drag link ends, new steering gear without the hydraulic assist, new bushings on all rod ends. The funny thing happened, it drove and handled like a dream.
As for airbags, agree, some builders use air bags who have zero clue as to what works. The finest handling coach I have played was the outside the wheel 10 bag design with a tag. very stable & secure, no leaning and very stable in large gusty winds.
But as the saying goes, it your happy, I am delighted.

Dave M

Yes I replaced the main springs with super steer and I also have the safety steer springs your talking about also . The last owner had them installed . so I left them on . there $$ front blow out would be nasty ..

Itasca55
I kept mine there also. I never had the wandering but felt every pot hole and road joint until the SS were installed. You could see shiny spots on the bottom of the upper A arm where the rubber bumper was hitting with the bags fully inflated. I drive the MH with one hand just like a car even with passing trucks I feel no wander.

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:
Glad your happy with the springs, am thinking they are like the safety steer spring kit, trying to keep you on the road ?
When I bought my MC7, it had that junk installed, I removed it, rebuilt the front end back to new, meaning new everything from the king pins, tie rod ends, drag link ends, new steering gear without the hydraulic assist, new bushings on all rod ends. The funny thing happened, it drove and handled like a dream.
As for airbags, agree, some builders use air bags who have zero clue as to what works. The finest handling coach I have played was the outside the wheel 10 bag design with a tag. very stable & secure, no leaning and very stable in large gusty winds.

Dave M

Yes I replaced the main springs with super steer and I also have the safety steer springs your talking about also . The last owner had them installed . so I left them on . there $$ front blow out would be nasty ..

Itasca55

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
mci7 wrote:

No, they're the correctly rated front coil springs for the rig. Super Steer custom makes their springs for the application. I'm going to order a pair for mine but I need to find somewhere to weigh it. They won't sell me springs without a 4-corner weigh. The chassis manufacturers don't know what's going to be sitting on top of their "incomplete vehicle". After doing a lot of reading, I'm convinced the air bags installed in the front coils of the older rigs are band-aids at best. They are somewhat effective in compensating for under-rated springs, but there's nothing more effective than having the right springs in it.

Yes takes care of the wander and bobbing . Last weekend I got to drive in cross winds and head winds . Did I feel the wind yes but it was all felt in the steering wheel where its suppose to be and easily controlled . Before with air bags it had this funny bobbing and jerking in high winds that's all gone . Feeling the wind is the nature of the beast. controlling it where right weigh spring comes in keeps everything tight . That 1/2 to 3/4 lift you get from air bags is the problem not the fix . That's my findings . hope it helps others . Theres cost but you'll be happy ๐Ÿ™‚ only do to rigs your going to keep awhile .

Itasca55

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:

No, they're the correctly rated front coil springs for the rig. Super Steer custom makes their springs for the application. I'm going to order a pair for mine but I need to find somewhere to weigh it. They won't sell me springs without a 4-corner weigh. The chassis manufacturers don't know what's going to be sitting on top of their "incomplete vehicle". After doing a lot of reading, I'm convinced the air bags installed in the front coils of the older rigs are band-aids at best. They are somewhat effective in compensating for under-rated springs, but there's nothing more effective than having the right springs in it.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

mci7
Explorer
Explorer

Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max