cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sway bar or Steering stabilizer?

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32' Southwind, this coach has no sway bar or steering stabilizer. I am getting ready to head to Wyoming from Cali on a two week trip with 4500 lb tow car. My coach is a handful running at 55mph to 65mph, I took it in for shocks and a sway bar. My shop recommended shocks and a steering stabilizer. I am looking for some feedback. Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the W22 chassis and do not have any issues with steering, pushing from passing trucks, or high wind wandering. I routinely travle in the Great Plains when high winds are the norm. The chassis already comes from the factory with a heavy duty sway bar. I did add a hydraulic steering stabilizer. I have not added, and do not feel that I will ever need trac bars. Before you spend the money on any suspension "fixes" I would check your coach loading and front end for looseness. Make sure that the front axle is loaded close to max and then go with the original mechanics suggestion about a steering stabilizer. I think you will find that is all you need.

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advice, I think I will get some track bars coming.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
No air bags would suggest it is probably safe to assume a W22. If that is correct, the advice is that W22 desperately needs track bars. There is gobs of delay in steering response as the axle catches up to the steering input.

Just an additional comment on edit. My dad has a W22, which is the primary source of my input.
IRV2

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
This is like pulling teeth. Lol
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Both P and W chassis were build through mid 2005, so it DOES make a difference: http://www.rvbusiness.com/2005/05/workhorse-adding-chassis-to-w-series/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
This is an 03, no airbags.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse W or P? The two have completely different front suspensions.

If P, what PSI in the front air bags?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mfuller93306
Explorer
Explorer
Workhorse chassis.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
wilanddij wrote:
You would probably be better served by adding a Track (Panhard) bar to both front and rear axles. These keep the axles and chassis tied together laterally, and reduce side-to-side play which causes your coach to be a "handful". Do a search on Google for "rv track bar".
X2 Steering stabilizer is normally considered a bandaid and should only be used as a last resort. You should note that a sway bar is NOT a trac bar. Your coach likely already has sway bars. sometimes they can be relocated, or stiffer ones installed, but those effect the ride quality. The trac bar or Panhard bar should not have any impact on the ride quality, but will likely make a huge difference in handling response.
IRV2

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
As mentioned, we need to know what chassis you have. Some of the Workhorse W chassis already have a stabilizer bar although it does not look like the traditional stabilizer bar used on other coaches. The Workhorse stabilizer does not have any bushings and is connected directly to the suspension steel to steel. Since th shop suggested shocks and a steering stabilizer, it may be because you already have everything else.
As a point of reference most coaches will handle better if they are close to maximum gross weight on the front axle. An RV that is light on the front axle will tend to wander while on the highway.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
You dont say what year or chassis but if ifs try some free stuff. Weigh coach on four corners and set tire pressure accordingly.
Look for any play in front end parts such as inner and outer tie rods,bell cranks,idler arms,steering box. Do you have air bags inside coil springs? Change sway bar bushings to poly ones. A rear track bar will help with the tail wagging the dog effect.
After checking all front end parts a steer safe or safe t plus.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
You would probably be better served by adding a Track (Panhard) bar to both front and rear axles. These keep the axles and chassis tied together laterally, and reduce side-to-side play which causes your coach to be a "handful". Do a search on Google for "rv track bar".
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a new steering stabilizer shock put onto my F350 and it drives like a dream instead of a nightmare again. When you start fighting the steering wheel back and forth to hold a straight line, look to your stabilizer shock first and replace it. My old one lasted about six years.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel