cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tanks

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there room to upsize the tanks on a C ?. I'm thinking of selling my truck & toyhauler. But I need more tank capacity as I always boondock & dry camp.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp
9 REPLIES 9

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that many c's are close to weight capacity after they are loaded for travel. Also IMHO under loading the front axle because of too much weight behind the rear axle is also a common issue. If you want that kind of capacity a trailer might be a great solution. Then you would not have to worry about poison ivy on the pee tree.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
64thunderbolt - How about pulling a real small enclosed trailer? Could haul a 30 gallon barrel with a 12 volt pump for fresh water. Could haul 1 or 2 blue "black tank" totes. Don't know about "pee on a tree", but in most states you could dump the gray tank on some needy trees. Any extra space could be used for those hard to pack items. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
2/3" wider wouldn't gain enough to justify the work.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
As tenbear stated, it depends on the model of the class C, like poker5150, mine is under the rear queen, but unlike his, there is not a "lot" of room left under there, as the water pump & whole house filter is also under there, I might get away with going another 2-3 inches wider, but that would involve moving the pump & rerouting some of the pipes.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am aware of the wgt issues. I can top off the water just a few miles from where I camp. On a lot of trips I can manage with less. But on Mem Day, Labor Day I stay for an extended time. Don't need to travel far with a full load. The black is a concern also. In Az we can drain off the grey.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the big problem isn't tank size, it's tank weight.

Water weighs 8.35 pounds per gallon. Even just a 25 gallon increase at the back of a long overhang could result in a huge difference in the axle weight and balance.

Most 350/3500 series C's are at or really close to GVWR when they roll out of the factory. Even the E-450 chassis under a 30' unit doesn't have a lot of CCC left.

Before I changed a tank I'd load up the existing one and run it over a scale.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm acustomed to over 100 fresh,45 grey 42 blk. I suppose I could change some habits and pee on a tree.
Glen
Truma tankless WH
2011 RZR 900xp

poker5150
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 fleetwood tioga and the fresh water tank is under the rear bed. There is alot of unused space. I am installing a 60 gallon tank in the existing space. 37 gallons for the gray and black tanks is sufficient for my needs
2008 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger
E-450

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the manufacturer, model and chassis. There are so many variables. Anything is possible but it may be impractical.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory