cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TCM on Allison Transmission needed replacing. Why?

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
The computer on my Allison 2000 transmission (2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune) just blew. Mechanic said he only found one code on it that indicated "low voltage." He asked if I'd had battery problems. I hadn't. However, now that I think about it, I have the RV in storage right now, so I've been turning off the battery cut-off switches for both the house and engine batteries. I'm talking about the switches located in the battery compartment. I've been doing this as an anti-theft/ anti-fire precaution. I have been turning the switches back on every month when I take the RV out for a drive to exercise the transmission, brakes, etc. Then I turn the switches off again for another month. Could turning these switches on and off be the cause of the TCM frying? I'm concerned because it cost me $2,000 dollars to fix and if I don't know what caused the TCM to fry, then what's stopping it from happening again? Any ideas as to how to keep this from happening again? Crazy thing is the RV, although it is a 2003, only has 40,000 miles on it. Allison mechanic said he's seen the TCM's last 700,000 miles. I'd like to know why mine fried so prematurely.
15 REPLIES 15

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Electronics of any kind are generally much more reliable now than many years ago. However, it only takes the failure of one five cent component in the module to allow for the whole system to fail. Unlike thirty years ago when products were repaired at the component level, today that is very rare. The lack of trained technicians, the high cost of test equipment, and the economics of the business has led to a situation of just replacing the whole product. When was the last time a "good" television tech fixed your television or stereo?
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B