cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tell me if I'm doing this right with my multimeter (UPDATE)

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to measure the parasitic drain on my battery. I know how to do it with a multimeter but I'm not positive about the digital reading after the measurement.

I've got my meter set to DC current with the leads on COM and the 10A MAX ports. I take the reading between the negative battery post and the negative battery cable. The battery is at 13.4 volts (fully charged). Everything is turned off, no lights, no radio, key off, etc. etc. etc. Everything is as it should be to check the current draw. I know there should not be any more than 1/2 of an amp draw reading (unless there's something wrong). That half amp is the parasitic drain and keeps the radio setting, computer/s, etc. active.

Now for my question about the readout: My reading is 0.24 on the 10 amp scale OR 2.5 on the 200m scale. As I understand it, I have 1/4 amp draw. Am I correct in my assumption? If so, all is good and there is no out of the ordinary parasitic drain.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C
22 REPLIES 22

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Tinstar wrote:
I guess I need to correct my original post.

I just watched a YouTube video and it says I should have no more than 50 milliamps. That makes me have a draw 5 times higher than the max it should be. I think........
Go to your 12v fuse panel and start pulling from the stack of fuses. Note the reading after each pull.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tinstar wrote:

I just watched a YouTube video and it says I should have no more than 50 milliamps. That makes me have a draw 5 times higher than the max it should be. I think........

What have you included in the drain calculation?
The radio, the CO detector, the smoke alarm, the LP detector, the engine ECM, microwave, any entertainment items that may have a memory, and so on?

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer

:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure that you are taking the measurements with the leads connected to the terminals mechanically. If you are holding the leads so that your body can pass some of the current the reading will be off a little bit. In other words, just the lead tips should touch the terminals. 1/4 amp sounds about right.

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
0.24 0n the 10A scale is 240mA,or about 1/4 of an Amp.

2.5 on the 200mA scale is only 2.5 mA, almost like nothing,does not make any
sence. This low reading may not be a real reading since you are exceeding
the 200 mA range,if you are drawing a 1/4 Amp.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
0.24 0n the 10A scale is 240mA,or about 1/4 of an Amp.

2.5 on the 200mA scale is only 2.5 mA, almost like nothing,does not make any
sence. This low reading may not be a real reading since you are exceeding
the 200 mA range,if you are drawing a 1/4 Amp.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you have a 1/4A or 250 mA draw.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
.24 on the 10 amps scale is about a 1/4 amp. I don't think the 200 ma scale will work on most meters when using the 10A jack. I would ignore that number.