cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thor Ace

RonR2440
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have a 25' Class C with the MB V-6 diesel engine. The unit tracks down the road very solidly. The only issue we have is lack of interior space. We started looking for an entry level Ford V-10 Class A at 30-31' that gave us a bedroom with a walk around bed, and lots of bedroom and exterior storage. We settled on the Thor Ace 30.1, we really liked the interior and it is in our price range. I drove one yesterday courtesy of our local Camping World and was really disappointed with the steering. It felt like the front end was loose and the unit had a tendency to wander all over the lane if not watched. I found myself having to carefully concentrate on driving and not feeling comfortable to even glance away at the instrument cluster. The sales person said this is a common trait with some Class A's. I am hesitant to buy the unit if this is the type of steering I can expect. For those Class A owners, is this typical, or did I just drive a unit that needs the front end aligned, Any thoughts will be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

Idahosrt10
Explorer
Explorer
eurobj wrote:
Hey guys,

Just picked up our 2014 (used 8k mi) 27.1 ACE. Drove it home tuesday and man was it all over the road really pushed to the right the whole way. Often when the wind kicked up it would do the tail waggle. Wait it gets better; this was a B-day present for my wife and we are leaving for Maine from San Antonio Sunday (yeah in 3 days). I dont know if it is suppossed to push right when empty (water tank 2/3 full and the wind was coming from left to right). My wife felt it was less alignment and more wind.

I have read the post about moving the sway bar (Pins?) to the inside hole and I believe the post's said you have to spin the bracket on the rear pins. I want to do this for my unit before I hit the road.

Questions for the group. Is this a change/mod I can do (I am pretty mechanical)? Does anyone have a video/pictorial of this op. Do I need any additional parts to accomplish it? (or special tools). Does anyone know a good place to do this on short notice in San Antonio, Tx?

I appreciate everybody's input.

v/r

Billy n Jeanne

Do the CHF mod for the sway. (move the lower sway bar link bolt and move it 3" in to the next hole, easy 20-30 min. job, 15mm + 18mm wrench needed)) Insert a caster wedge on the right front axle to stop the pull to the right.
2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Hohnstein wrote:
The phord will use a lot more fuel.

Huh?
2013 ACE 29.2

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
The phord will use a lot more fuel.

NAUTIQUE
Explorer
Explorer
Well to answer the original question... Lots of handling issues with many many motorhomes (not just class A). You're driving a HOUSE not a sports car! :B
Getting it weighed and setting the correct tire pressure is the best start.
Slow & easy is the best pace to set for yourself.
After that you have lots of handling tweaks you can chase.
(On my old rig, a steer-safe & a Ultratrac rear trac-bar helped it the most.)
Search the CHF and you'll find lots of info. Lots of drivers say they're really happy with it.
Should be doable on your own. (I still haven't done mine yet though.)
Although - I think the CHF helps most with the slower speed rock/sway of the rig.
But it all adds up to a better handling rig.
"Better handling" being the key phrase here.
Unfortunately, I think the biggest tail-waggin-da-dog problem on the smaller coaches is the short wheelbase.
I guess the ultimate fix is trading it in on a 40'r or DP. :E
Our Portable Summer Cottage II : 2000 GBM LANDAU - 99 F53 chassis
Tweaked w/: Allure floor, Sumitomo ST718's, Bilstein's, Steer-Safe, UltraTrac rear trac bar, CHF & Poly Bushings. Pulling a 97 Jeep TJ- Pics & Mods * GBM Thread * F53 Thread
LIFE IS GOOD! :C

jbrad13
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same issues with my 2014 Thor ACE 29.2. Had the alignment checked and found the toe was bad. Handling was significantly better after the alignment. Also had a Bilstein stabilizer installed. My wife can easily drive the coach now.
Thor reimbursed me for the alignment; just got the check Monday.

eurobj
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

Just picked up our 2014 (used 8k mi) 27.1 ACE. Drove it home tuesday and man was it all over the road really pushed to the right the whole way. Often when the wind kicked up it would do the tail waggle. Wait it gets better; this was a B-day present for my wife and we are leaving for Maine from San Antonio Sunday (yeah in 3 days). I dont know if it is suppossed to push right when empty (water tank 2/3 full and the wind was coming from left to right). My wife felt it was less alignment and more wind.

I have read the post about moving the sway bar (Pins?) to the inside hole and I believe the post's said you have to spin the bracket on the rear pins. I want to do this for my unit before I hit the road.

Questions for the group. Is this a change/mod I can do (I am pretty mechanical)? Does anyone have a video/pictorial of this op. Do I need any additional parts to accomplish it? (or special tools). Does anyone know a good place to do this on short notice in San Antonio, Tx?

v/r

Billy n Jeanne

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
eurobj wrote:
Hey guys,

v/r

Billy n Jeanne

Yes it's easy. Do a search for CHF or cheap handling fix on here. One post has pics. That said it will handle rocking and wind push and wander, not if your rig is consistently pulling to one side. That sounds like an alignment issue. Every new coach should have an alignment, it will not take long to ruin a $450 tire - ask me how I know. Also, weigh it and get your PSI set right.
2013 ACE 29.2

eurobj
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

v/r

Billy n Jeanne

Ro646a
Explorer
Explorer
RonR2440 wrote:
We currently have a 25' Class C with the MB V-6 diesel engine. The unit tracks down the road very solidly. The only issue we have is lack of interior space. We started looking for an entry level Ford V-10 Class A at 30-31' that gave us a bedroom with a walk around bed, and lots of bedroom and exterior storage. We settled on the Thor Ace 30.1, we really liked the interior and it is in our price range. I drove one yesterday courtesy of our local Camping World and was really disappointed with the steering. It felt like the front end was loose and the unit had a tendency to wander all over the lane if not watched. I found myself having to carefully concentrate on driving and not feeling comfortable to even glance away at the instrument cluster. The sales person said this is a common trait with some Class A's. I am hesitant to buy the unit if this is the type of steering I can expect. For those Class A owners, is this typical, or did I just drive a unit that needs the front end aligned, Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Our Ford based Class A is 12 years old with 26,000 miles on it. I have no trouble at all with it wandering on the road. It is only VERY rarely that a passing semi will even affect it. I usually drive it with my right hand on the steering wheel doing the steering and my left hand just resting on the wheel in case I happen to have a tire blow out or some other emergency.

Try driving different brands. I drove several Ford F53 class A units before I bought this one. I also found this one to be smoother and quieter on the highway than any of the others I drove.

Prior to this RV we had a 2000 Newmar Dutch Star gas on the same chassis as this one. That one had no handling issues either, but this one is smoother and much quieter driving.
Roland
1999 American Dream 40 DVS
2011 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster Sterling Towbar
Brake Buddy

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
I can drive it with one hand when I'm taking a drink or traveling straight and level, which for us isn't often - mountains of Virginia! Again, it really feels like our ambulances, so it isn't foreign to me.

As an aside - if you really want to help out your community and improve your driving skills, volunteer at your local rescue squad. One you complete EVOC (Emergency Vehicles Operating Course) training you know a lot more about how to handle top heavy vehicles, and in Virginia you get 5+ points added to your license.

Had to get a plug in!
Elizabeth
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
I can easily drive with one hand in my 33 foot Ford chassis MH. I'm actually quite surprised how stable it is even with a trailer in tow. To me it sounds like something is amiss but since other owners of your rig are reporting the same problem, not sure what's going on there.

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
We test drove the ACE 30.1 on May 26, and bought it that day. We took delivery on June 1. We've had it out for three nights and have driven about 300 miles in it.

We love the unit with a few exceptions:

If you're under 6'6" tall, your feet will not touch the floor when you are sitting on the commode. I'm 5'10", and my toes touch the floor. DW is 5'6", feet don't touch at all! Complained to Thor and bought a short step stool.

TV is mounted crooked in the cabinet - dealer fix.

Pocket door has chip - dealer fix.

Handling wise - it's a little loose, but I drive ambulances (Ford, Dodge and Chevy - our squad is fickle) as a volunteer EMT. It handles a lot like the ambulances - a little loose, top heavy and it does take more attention to the road than driving a car. You're car isn't 8"+ wide and almost 12' high, either.

I have a friend who retired and sold his tour bus company. He has a new coach also. I asked him for driving advice, and he said if you're in a hurry, don't go camping. Take is slowly and carefully, and if you think you won't fit or can't turn around, don't go there. Pretty much sums up my attitude, too. If we have to hurry, we aren't enjoying the journey. Camping time has a different speed than OMG I'm late for work time! We did buy a new CR-V to tow behind, and I'm sure that will change the handling again.

I like the ACE a lot, and the price point made it affordable to move up from truck and TT.

Elizabeth
The Mothership (2014 Thor ACE 30.1)
The Toad (2013 Honda CR-V)
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Finally Time wrote:
I just bought a new Thor Ace 27.1. Your description of the handling sounds just like mine. Following Thor’s recommendations in the Owners Manual, I adjusted the tire pressure to the loaded weight and had the alignment checked; it was fine. I had the "cheap handling fix" (CHF) done. That improved the handling slightly. The suspension and alignment shop owner said he had the same Thor chassis under his similarly sized motorhome with the same initial handling. He recommended air bags; said most of the wandering and bobbing around was due to soft suspension and the "tail wagging the dog" syndrome. He didn’t think anything else like the more expensive track bars or steering stabilizers would add anything over what the air bags would do. I drove his motorhome. The difference was amazing. I’m having air bags installed next week. I love the ACE floor plan and features but it is really disgusting that Thor shoves them out the door with such poor suspension and handeling.
Not a Thor chassis its a Ford and there are thousands being used by several Manuf.
2009 Challenger

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I test drove the Thor ACE 27.1. I too thought it wandered on the road and when a large truck went around us it pushed me to the shoulder of the road. We ordered a new ACE 30.1 five weeks ago, was told it will take up to 10 weeks to get. From what I've been reading you can change the sway bar mount to the other hole and this helps. I have also read that you can buy an after market sway bar to help even more with this problem. Since I have one on order I guess I will deal with it when I get it....