Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Super C (Chateau/Four Winds) improvements and mods

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks,

I purchased a 2014 Thor Chateau 33SW last August and right from the start I experienced the new RV owner blues. In short, after driving back to San Diego from where I flew out to purchase it in Texas, it spent its first 3 weeks in the shop with about a dozen issues, ranging from minor to major.

That said, aside from all of the issues, now that I've resolved most of them either through warranty or just fixing it myself after the local Thor service dealer either did a half-assed job fixing a problem, or just flat out didn't fix it after it sat in their shop for weeks, I like this motorhome. I wanted something fairly nice and that could reasonably tow 10k+ LBS, since I have a desert prerunner truck and several motorcycles to trailer out with the family. Dynamax's were nice, but out of the $$$ range I was willing to invest on a first MH. I also looked as used medium duty chassis Super C's (older Show Haulers, etc.) but anything close to $100k was too dated looking and generally VERY used. So I saw the F550 chassis based Thor 33SW and bit the bullet.

After owning it for about 7 months now, my impression is that Thor came up with a great layout and mated it to a good chassis, but as a result of both production line quality assurance issues and the general feeling that everything beneath the surface was designed to speed up build time, there are many improvements that can be made by owners to make this coach better. And frankly, should have been done at the factory before shipping off to the dealer! ๐Ÿ™‚

The reason I'm starting this thread is because I've noticed a few other Thor Super C owners on here and other forums, that have all mentioned having similar issues (house water pump leaks, front fuel tank filling issues, front hydro jacks too low from the factory, poor house battery capacity, etc.) I've also noticed a few very cool modifications and improvements by others on here as well, such as relocating the house batteries to one of the storage compartments and switching to a bank of four 6v batts. I figured it would be useful to try and centralize the communication of issues encountered, how to resolve them and suggestions to improve the coach.

I've done a few already and will post one of them shortly. Hopefully other Thor Super C (33SW, 35sk, 35sg, Etc) will chime in as well.
2014 Thor Chateau Super C (33SW)
593 REPLIES 593

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Yep...have fun on your trip. Thanks.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
That's bad news. So now you are like me, I have a couple of batteries in my garage that are likely just fine, and $400 less in my pocket.
2005 Safari Gazelle 40PBT
2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS pulled by 2018 Ram 2500 Cummins

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Installed new batteries last night. Leveling Jacks' control panel still says low voltage...so lippert thinks bad control panel at pump or pump problem. Can't diagnose leaks until I get the Jacks to work. Will keep all updated.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed to the big southwest RV show today!

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RobbieH. Yes...jacks with truck running is annoying. Thanks for the tip on disconnect...since I am past a year I figured my batteries are due for replacement. As always I appreciate all your advice. Thanks and have a great weekend.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
mbacfp30 wrote:

How are the interstate batteries working for you? I think I am going to go with the series 29M pro (Which I think are the ones you referenced?). Did they fit ok? Just curious if you ran into any problems during install?

Thanks again for all your advice...I really appreciate it.

They work great.

I have never been able to use my jacks without the truck's engine running. I've complained to Thor about this, and they say this is normal. It isn't that the batteries don't have enough juice, they won't operate at all unless the truck is running, they won't even turn on.

Before you ditch your batteries, make sure they are full on water. Then, unplug from shore power and turn off the Xantrax (sp) system for 15 minutes. Reconnect and you may start charging again. I've had to do this twice during my ownership, by recommendation from Xantrax. But, mine would stick at 11.5v when I had a problem that required a reset, not 12. anything.

They fit fine, just a little tighter. No issues at all during install. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I just went out to tailgate over the weekend, and we ran everything on battery (no A/C) from 5:30 PM to 11:00 PM, and the batteries still said 12.6v when we left.

ronfisherman
cfendya wrote:
Thanks ronfersherman. Is that a specific cover for class C or one for an A?

It is a Class C cover, Semi-custom with extra height and length for the Super C. Door opening was positioned to measurements I provided on their measurement sheets.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
RobbieH,

Hope your weekend is going well. Looks like my coach batteries are dying. Keep getting low voltage from the leveling jack screen and it says 12.3V...and my scanguage II says the truck alternator is supplying 13.9V (so I am assuming the batteries are going).

How are the interstate batteries working for you? I think I am going to go with the series 29M pro (Which I think are the ones you referenced?). Did they fit ok? Just curious if you ran into any problems during install?

Thanks again for all your advice...I really appreciate it.

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ronfersherman. Is that a specific cover for class C or one for an A?

ronfisherman
cfendya wrote:
What are folks here doing for covering their Super C's for the winter? I have a 35' and it looks like covers for this length for class C's are pretty slim to non-existent.

I'm wondering if a class A cover can be used? I know a lot of covers allow for access to the coach with it on but I'm not overly concerned about accessing it with the cover on so could care less if zipper openings exist, match up to doors, etc.

Looks like Adco also has a roof only cover which might be a good option as well. I'm out in Denver so really wanting to keep the snow/ice off the bare roof to prevent water from making it's way in and then freezing and damaging things however would love for the whole coach to be covered in effort to minimize sun exposure for a bit.

While not cheap. I have a Calmark to cover my MH. Bought it in fall of 2006.

Just starting to see failure of thread used to sew cover together. It's very important to follow Calmark instruction when tying it down for the winter. I am sure other cover manufactures have similar instructions.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

cfendya
Explorer
Explorer
What are folks here doing for covering their Super C's for the winter? I have a 35' and it looks like covers for this length for class C's are pretty slim to non-existent.

I'm wondering if a class A cover can be used? I know a lot of covers allow for access to the coach with it on but I'm not overly concerned about accessing it with the cover on so could care less if zipper openings exist, match up to doors, etc.

Looks like Adco also has a roof only cover which might be a good option as well. I'm out in Denver so really wanting to keep the snow/ice off the bare roof to prevent water from making it's way in and then freezing and damaging things however would love for the whole coach to be covered in effort to minimize sun exposure for a bit.

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the phone conversation I had with the shop, the main issue is the columns. The way they are made, they can't cut them down like the tracks.

mbacfp30
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy. Sorry to hear that. Hope you all have a great weekend.

RobbieH
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell you what he did on the columns on mine, but the tracks were too long too, more than 1". I have a band saw here, so he cut them on that to fit. My columns may have been ok, and I expect they were, given how the new ones are built.

Sites
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update on my 3trax slide retrofit.

Well, the shop finally got started on the work this morning. In true RV form, after about an hour, they realized that Schwintek sent them them wrong parts. The columns are about 1" too long and the new tracks are about 1" too long. So they called Schwintek and spoke with someone there and it looks like we might not know when the correct kit will be shipped until Monday.

Whee!