cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on Renegade? New Verona Model?

JCC455
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have experience with the M-2 based Renegades, like the Explorer? How about the new Verona model? On paper, they match up with the Dynamax DX-3, but they are priced slightly higher and appear from photos to be trimmed up somewhat.

There does seem to be a fairly large sacrifice of interior room over an equivalent length DP. That may be because the Renegades typically only have 2 slides. Anyone with experience with both the TC and the DP have a comment?

We know that some higher end Rv resorts won't allow Class C MH's. Renegade says they title the larger MH's as Class A's. Does anyone have any experience with trying to call a TC a "Class A"? Will a resort care what the manufacturer says it is?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

JCC455
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks.
The Renegade version of the M2 has the 6 cylinder 9.0L Cummins, 350 HP, 1,000 ft lb torque, air brakes, rear air suspension, etc. GVW 33,000, rated to tow 20,000. I don't know what it weighs going down the road, and I don't guess the manufacturer is likely to tell us. It's 40' OAL. The Dynamax is about the same but has a signicantly shorter WB, so lots more overhang out back. Otherwise, equipped about the same I think, maybe trimmed a little less nice inside.
The big truck Renegades are out of my price range at 400 and 500 thousand, up.
I could buy a nice DP for the same as a M2 Renegade, maybe more room inside, but of course, lose those TC benefits.
Glad to hear you haven't been turned away from Class A exclusive places. I am going to call a few. I'll post what they tell me here, although asking first is sometimes not a good strategy.

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
We have yet to be turned away. When I call, for simplicity and lack of confusion, I describe ours as a 45' motorhome or Super C. I want to know before arrival if 45' + car is too much for the sites or the roads too tight. This is our first near legal limit camper, so consider heights of overpasses, tree limbs and weight limit bridges...the bed height of RR tracks can have a ground clearance issue too.
In general, I wasn't impressed with the 6-speed and power of the 2008-2010 M2 based campers. Perhaps builders are spec'ing the cab chassis different since the model has become more popular and GM dropped the 4500-5500 mid-duty segment.
We toured the Renegade factory and I don't remember any process that was much different than other builders. Most builders will keep to the RV style furnishings, but residential class appliances are being used more.
Just by perception, some think you loose 9' of living area to the cab, but we use that area when parked much like the other living area...it's not like the F350 platform C class. If no other use, it's easy to just store stuff when we're
camping.
Look at some of the other dedicated super C builders (Showhauler, NRC, Haulmark, United Specialties) for M2 campers.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot