cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tiffin 31SA verses 36LA

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
We are trying to decide between the Tiffin 31SA and the 36LA. The 36 weights 2,000 pounds more. Concerned about the ability of the same F10 to carry the additional weight and to tow a 4,300 pound toad. Does anyone have a perspective on either of these models. Thank you.
10 REPLIES 10

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
We have two bathrooms and I'd never have another coach without two. One broke on a trip and it was nice to have one to use until I got the other fixed.

Your mileage won't get better. I've tracked my mileage for 80,000 miles now and it hasn't changed a bit.

Our toad is 4,000lb. We average 7.1 MPG with the toad and about 8.1 without the toad.

I'd suggest the larger rig.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go for the 36 just for that much more room. You can still get in about any CG.

ct78barnes
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 36 ft coach that we pull a suv and have for 23,000 miles on it most all towing .You will notice it in the hills but I just got back from the keys and no problems.

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
The mileage makes sense to me. We haul at 20 foot boat to the Keys each year behind an Escalade at about 10 MPG. At this point we are leaning toward the 36LA. Same floor pan as 31 SA (which we love) but expanded and in particular the dealer has more options on the 36LA. This is a new venture for us so fingers crossed. Have been hauling boats to the Keys for 30 years. Thanks again. Maybe we will see you out there.

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Rwake901 wrote:
We have the 2015 Allegro 31SA. We looked at the 36LA but it's just my wife and I so we don't need two bathrooms. Plus the 31SA is shorter which makes it a little easier to maneuver. Tiffin makes a good quaility motorhome. So far we are very happy with it. If you do buy a Tiffin make sure you get the Sumo Springs makes a world of difference in how it handles. I have drove one with and without them and you will be very happy you got them. Absolutely love the floor plan. PM me if you have any questions.

I have a 2014, I just had the somo's put on yesterday, handling doesn't seem much different, but the ride is very much improved. The 36 LA is the best handling gas coach Ive ever driven and does not need any aftermarket BS
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

johnnycrab
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased the 36LA in Memphis and drove home 1000 miles with CRV in tow. ( four flat towing ). I recorded mileage and fuel consumption and calculated approx. 7 miles per gallon. It's new, so maybe it will get better.

John

Tom_Glenn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the responses. It is a tough call. You hear a lot about gas mileage. What is realistic with toad or without.

Thanks again.

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
No worries about weight with 36LA. Love the floor plan and it tows our CRV and jetski with ease.

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2015 Allegro 31SA. We looked at the 36LA but it's just my wife and I so we don't need two bathrooms. Plus the 31SA is shorter which makes it a little easier to maneuver. Tiffin makes a good quaility motorhome. So far we are very happy with it. If you do buy a Tiffin make sure you get the Sumo Springs makes a world of difference in how it handles. I have drove one with and without them and you will be very happy you got them. Absolutely love the floor plan. PM me if you have any questions.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
We have had a 36LA for two years now. We love it. Tiffin is a good choice. We chose the 36LA for the extra space in the living room and love the TV/fireplace location. The rear bath is a great plus and has great storage area. place for a combo W/D, which we do not have, yet. No long timers, yet. Will not be full timers. The bay storage is large. The pull out Dream Air Mattress is very nice. Suggest a mod to shortening the frame a few inches as you cannot walk front to back with bed out.

Drives great. Has dyna shield around front so there is no some noise but you can hold a conversation without shouting. I have even held a thephone conversation on the blue tooth JVC radio. We pull a 2007 Outlook and hardly notice it there. Ya gotta get used to when to step into it to maintain speeds on mountain climbs. On severe steep grades, I have dropped to 45 for the final climb at the top, in the Cascades and Rockies.

Good luck on your choice.

Take a look at theis site:Tiffin RV Network