Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiger Owners: Full-Timing in a Tiger?

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

I like truck campers but view the lack or a realistic pass-through from the camper to the truck. In bad weather and sketchy security scenarios that would seem to be important. All weather capability is important to me, since i often travel Canada and the Rockies.

I'm no newbie to camping, having traveled 30 states with my family with a 19' Terry Tarus and a 24' Prowler in tow and later in a 28' Southwind motorhome. Having lost my wife of 47 years to cancer in 2014, I now travel solo and have no real reason to own a home. My kids live in Laramie and Albuquerque, so traveling to see them is more attractive in a camper of some sort.

Do you know of anyone who is full timing in a Tiger? From your experience, do you think it would be possible?

Thanks,

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt
38 REPLIES 38

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
DiploStrat,

Thank you, I will.

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:
DiploStrat,

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if it will it be an HT or LT?

Thanks,

Bill

It is a Malayan HT, built on a diesel Ford 450. The owner is trading it in on a new Tiger. Lots of nice upgrades, you should contact Tiger for more details.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Eugarps wrote:
Tiger4x4RV,

I'm looking at condos right now and have written to Provan to find out about its cold weather capabilities. I've also considered buying a small park model trailer and parking it in a community that's built for wanderers. They're out there but not that easy to identify.

Bill

I stayed at a RV park in the wisconsin dells area that was being converted into that type of community.
bumpy

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
DiploStrat,

Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know if it will it be an HT or LT?

Thanks,

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

DiploStrat
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, there will be a used Malayan Tiger, 50k miles, on the Tiger site as soon as it is refurbished. It is all diesel.
DiploStrat

===========================

1990 Mercedes Benz 917/XPCamper

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV,

I'm looking at condos right now and have written to Provan to find out about its cold weather capabilities. I've also considered buying a small park model trailer and parking it in a community that's built for wanderers. They're out there but not that easy to identify.

I've also asked about costs and advisability of converting the coach heating, hot water, cook-top, and generator to diesel.

Best,

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Bill,

That used Tiger currently on the web page is a nice one. Used Tigers are extremely rare, so do not wait too long to decide. It would be perfect for the life you describe, and the factory would probably make any modifications you wanted.

I could leave home more now that I am retired, but health gremlins have been messing that up. There is still some hope that they can be beaten back. Even without them, the FT life is not for me.

If you choose a home base, be sure to factor RV storage into your budget. In the 55+ mobile home area where I live, RV storage is $50 a month. Outside, it would cost over $200 a month!

Tiger4x4RV
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV,

You wrote "In terms of availability and flexibility, you might want to consider a more mass-production small C and tow and small vehicle for exploring."

I've thought about that but really like to be immersed in wilderness, a dweller and not just a visitor. Dispersed camping on BLM and other public lands will be my norm, be it in a truck camper, 4x4 Roadtrek, or a Tiger.

The 2012 Tiger currently has listed on their site as inventory would be attractive, if I sold my house and became a condo dweller. That is an attractive alternative to full-timing because of the points you've noted.

Unlike you, I only have a reason to return home bout once a month. I have a small list of clients with whom I consult and all of that can be done from the road, given a MiFi.

Thanks,

Bill
TC - Still in the Hunt

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
You might take a look at the Howes' blog:
http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Travelin-Tortuga/index.html
I am not sure that they are really full full-time, but close. They do some non-Tiger travel.

As to my personal experience: I travel solo, no pets. My longest Tiger trip to date was 7.5 weeks and I could easily have gone longer but my employer had other ideas.

Sometimes I try to imagine living in the Tiger. There is enough space in my regular cab CX for me and for my gear. The kitchen and the plumbing system and tanks are good sizes. My Tiger's bare-bones electrical system (no generator, no solar, charges from truck alternator when driving or from hookups which I usually avoid) might be a problem; I'd have to drive more to keep things charged up. Where would out-of-season gear go? And what about AC, which I don't have? It all works fine for my usual off-grid camping and travel in the Western states. Your travel/camp style may be different.

If you had a Tiger with an extended or crew cab, or if you wanted to have a back-bumper cargo box or tow a cargo trailer, or if you are a minimalist with no large toys, then maybe you could FT in one.

In terms of availability and flexibility, you might want to consider a more mass-production small C and tow and small vehicle for exploring.

Or maybe buy a used rental small C such as PhotoMike recently did. He put info about it on the TC forum.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed