cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Temperatures

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Well.... interesting observation made today. After my last tire failure, I had quite a bit of damage in the fender well. We took the coach to Camping World today (about 60 miles from home) for an estimate for insurance purposes. When we returned home from teh last trip on which we had the failure, I purchased a laser thermometer to be able to check the tire temps in the future. So today, when we stopped at Camping World, I immediately checked the tire temps for reference.

Currently, I have 5 Goodyear G647 19.5s and 1 Bridgestone 19.5 on the driver side outside dually coupled with the Goodyear. The Bridgestone was the only tire that had to replace my failed one on the roadside. The temps on all the Goodyears were around 110 degrees on arrival (give or take 3 degrees), but the one Bridgestone was only reading about 95 degrees.

So what gives? Why was the Bridgestone cooler than the rest? And what is considered an acceptable temp? All temps were read at the rear of the tire on the tread surface. I have in my possession a TST TPMS, but have not installed it yet.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------
15 REPLIES 15

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
First question would be whether you have measured the effective rolling diameter of the inner (Goodyear) vs outer (Bridgestone). If the inner tire is larger, therefore carrying more of the load it will be warmer.

Also, inner tires, because of less air circulation DO run warmer than outers.

The answer as to "how hot" they can get-- tire engineers I have read suggest this is really not an issue-- even 140 not being excessive. Sure, will accelerate wear, but not dangerous. Their basic answer is to run the correct PSI (checked cold) and don't worry about temperature.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/