cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing antenna

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
We tend to get poor TV reception in our 2000 Bounder MH and were thinking of upgrading antenna. We are having roof replaced this weekend and roofer can install new antenna if we get one. Checked and we have a Winegard Sensar iv or at least thats what it looks like..no names except Winegard on it. So looks as if previous owner replaced original head. Not sure if it is worth replacing the entire system or not..any ideas?
Pat
Pat and Ron and 1 wild agility GSD
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
15 REPLIES 15

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
We also just had a new roof installed. Replaced the obsolete KVH in motion dish w/ a new Winegard traveler and left the old crank up there which still gives great signals for OTA TV.
I might replace the old crank up w/ a newer low mount type unit soon because it can be in the way of the new traveler when it is looking for a signal. The traveler works great w/ our new flat screen TV replacements.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
skyquest4494 wrote:
Hi

For anyone interested the new Rayzar was reviewed an tested against an old Batwing antenna.

Here is the Review

I note that in the comparison, they did not use the available Wingman and SensarPro signal booster add-ons, and the Batwing still beat the Rayzar.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure you have the amplifier on? Also do you have 12 volts at the antenna?

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
skyquest4494 wrote:
Hi

For anyone interested the new Rayzar was reviewed an tested against an old Batwing antenna.

Here is the Review

So, they're really not worth the time or expense, unless you're just too lazy for cranking the original bat wing up and down, right?
We've never had much of a problem with trees and such and don't turn it often, once it's set, either. Naturally a lot of this depends on how close you are to the station's towers.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are three common Winegard Batwings,, Sensar II, III and IV, of these the IV is the least common and if you needed a new roof I seriously doubt you have one.

The IV has a Wingman attached (it points to the stations) if yours does not have the wingman (UHF Director Array) then it is an II or III.

Adding the Wingman improves UHF reception

The IV is the best RV rooftop antenna (Assuming you are going for long range reception, more on this later)

Adding a Sensar Pro indoor module (or if you have the wall plate replacing it with the Sensar Pro) is the best improvement you can make.

Antennas are tradeof devices,

Here is how to better understand the trade off

Take a map, and stick a pin in the middle of it, This pin represents your RV

Now take a necklace chain and arrainge in a circle around the pin, This is an OMNIDIRECTIONAL antenna such as the Winegard Roadstar "Flying Saucer"

Pull the pin, lay a popsicle (Craft) Stick down and pin it into the same hole

now pull the chain into an oval, major/minor axis ratio 2 or 3 to 1, minor axis is along the stick.. That is a batwing.

now lay a half stick at right angles to the first, at the center.

Pull the chain so it's egg shaped, long axis is in the dirction of the half stick, Short axis is about the same length. That is the WINGMAN

now DOUBLE the length of the chain That is the Sensar Pro.

You can "SEE" any transmitter within the chain

NOTE: not to scale, represnetive only of the changes

Antennas like the JACK, are not as directional as the Batwing + wingman, this means if you are close to the towers (They are more "Scattered" The wider beam width means you see more of them without re-pointing

But if you are far out. Then TV stations tend to be more "Clustered" (Same beam heading ) and the Batwing sees farther.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

skyquest4494
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

Here is the Review

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Corkey05 wrote:
This Antenna is due out this month. As soon as it's available it will be on the roof of my coach. No more searching for signals!

Sounds interesting. I'm curious as to how it will compare in overall reception to the current Rayzar Air. My concern is how low it is to the roof versus extended on a pole. All my life, antennas have been affected by low level obstructions, trees, etc.

I am interested too, mounted so close to the roof with all the obstructions. I can't see how it can be any better when mounted so flat.

I kept one arm of the Winegard mast and mounted my Rayzar Air,there are instructions in the kit,it is very easy to do. This way I had it in the same space and got the maximum height when deployed. It works much better than the others that I have had.

][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TgLwTbbl.jpg" height=220>
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Corkey05 wrote:
This Antenna is due out this month. As soon as it's available it will be on the roof of my coach. No more searching for signals!

Sounds interesting. I'm curious as to how it will compare in overall reception to the current Rayzar Air. My concern is how low it is to the roof versus extended on a pole. All my life, antennas have been affected by low level obstructions, trees, etc.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
aslakson wrote:
Any idea about pricing on that new Winegard auto-find antenna?

al
I did some poking around and from what I could find it's around $275. It appears to be an easy replacement to the batwing & I like the small 15" footprint.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
Any idea about pricing on that new Winegard auto-find antenna?

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mygsds wrote:
We tend to get poor TV reception in our 2000 Bounder MH and were thinking of upgrading antenna. We are having roof replaced this weekend and roofer can install new antenna if we get one. Checked and we have a Winegard Sensar iv or at least thats what it looks like..no names except Winegard on it. So looks as if previous owner replaced original head. Not sure if it is worth replacing the entire system or not..any ideas?
Pat

We still have the original bat wing antenna and it works extremely well, as long as the amplifier is on and working, so I would suggest that if yours isn't, then look beyond the antenna, itself.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

mygsds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We know the head is a Sensar 4 just not sure about the "guts" . Think we need to do more research and not jump at replacing now. hubby didnt know there were plastic gears inside crank so might be a problem there.
Pat and Ron and 1 wild agility GSD
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Sensar IV has the best signal gain of the popular RV anttenae - if the antenna on your Bounder is original equipment, it's probably not a IV model. The IV has the UHF antenna added to the batwing, a three-wing bat if you will. With almost all OTA TV now digital and on UHF, the Sensar IV should give you the best results. I'd replace the whole thing, just because the mechanism on yours is at least 15yrs old and those plastic gears are probably pretty worn by now. And when I did that, I also went with the Winegard Sensar Pro signal strength meter - makes pointing the antenna so much easier.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.