cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a converter cause AC problems

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gang, was wondering if DC converter could go bad and cause shorts on the AC side? Pretty sure I have a converter go bad ( no DC power between positive & neutral) and caused my GFCI outlets to get hot & burn.

Thoughts?
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!
15 REPLIES 15

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Hope you don't have more issues cause my fun meter is full.

Get an RV Tech next time.

Meant no disrespect at all. It's nearly impossible to read emotions the writer was intending.
I really do appreciate forums like this and the help they provide from folks. I also do really enjoy some of the craziness that happens out here when someone ask something.
Thanks again to all that provided feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
gsf35099 wrote:
Hi Gang, was wondering if DC converter could go bad and cause shorts on the AC side? Pretty sure I have a converter go bad ( no DC power between positive & neutral) and caused my GFCI outlets to get hot & burn.

Thoughts?

Doubt it but probably related.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

predawn
Explorer
Explorer
Sprig wrote:
Senior Troll,

Well played on your end.

100% agreed

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
Senior Troll,

Well played on your end.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hope you don't have more issues cause my fun meter is full.

Get an RV Tech next time.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
gsf35099 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Thought responses in your other post covered that.

GFCIs have 120V AC power to them. GCFI problems come from 120V AC issues.

Converter has a 120V AC feed to power it but that feed has it's own CB.

SO NO..converter issue would not affect/cause GCFIs to 'fry'

NOW if you have an Inverter that feeds GCFIs.......a malfunctioning Inverter could cause isses with GCFI as the Inverter supplies 120V AC

Thanks, oldbiscuit. I haven't seen any responses & for the life of me could not find that thread. LOL. I will search again and see if I can find it. Even in my forums it was not coming up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your other post.....LINK

Sounds like your converter is fried. 0 (Zero) output Pos/Neg with 20V Pos/Grd.
And you also have couple fried GCFIs.

SO I have to ask.......

WHAT ARE YOU PLUGGED INTO FOR AC POWER SUPPLY

YES I am shouting cause it sounds as if you have plugged into a 220V AC source.

Has this power source been tested..sounds like lost neutral and 220V went thru one leg burning up AC equipment on that hot leg.

LOL. I love to read you guys get all wound up out here. Cracks me up & fun to read.
Thanks for the link, I dug & found it too.
I'm plugged into a 2k generator that only has a 110v output.
The generator is running fine & after I removed the converter we were able to plug a coffee pot in & run with no problems.

I agree the converter is fried & I think it was causing AC problems back through it's plug.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
...Sounds like your converter is fried. 0 (Zero) output Pos/Neg with 20V Pos/Grd.

SO I have to ask...
Has this power source been tested..sounds like lost neutral and 220V went thru one leg burning up AC equipment on that hot leg.

I didn't know there was another thread.

Just curious, if the converter is "fried"(NO OUTPUT), what is your take on the 12V supposedly being ~20VDC?

And, honestly, while I have seen stranger things with electronics, I would think the regulation scheme in the converter would be based on the output voltage. However, I do suppose it is possible that a 220V input may not be expected and the converter switching circuit is not capable of reducing the incoming duty cycle short enough to provide for a lower output voltage; possibly explaining the ~20VDC that is coming from somewhere in a 12V system.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
gsf35099 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

NOW if you have an Inverter that feeds GCFIs.......a malfunctioning Inverter could cause isses with GCFI as the Inverter supplies 120V AC

Thanks, oldbiscuit. I haven't seen any responses & for the life of me could not find that thread. LOL. I will search again and see if I can find it. Even in my forums it was not coming up. ๐Ÿ™‚

Your other post.....LINK

Sounds like your converter is fried. 0 (Zero) output Pos/Neg with 20V Pos/Grd.

SO I have to ask.......

WHAT ARE YOU PLUGGED INTO FOR AC POWER SUPPLY

YES I am shouting cause it sounds as if you have plugged into a 220V AC source.

Sprig
Explorer
Explorer
gsf35099 wrote:
...Between positive & ground the output is 20.7v.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dls30spec.pdf

http://www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/2013_IOTA_Power_Guide.pdf

IOTA does not currently list a 30A 24V converter; so I really don't know what you have.

Unless you have an older different model, the IOTA data sheets show the output terminals labeled as Positive Terminal Lug (Red) and Negative Terminal Lug (Black).

Typically, in an automotive installation, the negative terminal is attached to chassis ground.

If you actually measured ~20VDC at the output terminals, then something is definitely wrong.

Anyways, last reply from me, time to grab the popcorn and watch how this plays out.

ON EDIT: So long as the above posts don't change, anyone notice what does not quite add up?

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
gsf35099 wrote:
Sprig wrote:
gsf35099 wrote:
...converter go bad ( no DC power between positive & neutral)...

Proper terminology goes a long way in helping to understand the problem. A DC source is typically measured between positive and ground (or negative), not neutral.

At the moment, since you didn't mention anything other then GCFI going out, I'd consider them two separate issues.

Is the breaker for the 110 for the converter tripped?

Not to be a smart a$$, but you are apparently not familiar with my type of DC conver (IOTA 30 amp). There are output lugs labeled "positive, neutral, & ground". Between positive & neutral the output is zero. Between positive & ground the output is 20.7v.

None would be familiar with my converter. Someone actually put a sticker over the Negative output side labeled neutral. wth. Not sure why anyone would do that.
So now I know I have zero output DC output volts between positive & negative. No output.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

2005 Damon Astoria 3679

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Sprig wrote:
gsf35099 wrote:
...converter go bad ( no DC power between positive & neutral)...

Proper terminology goes a long way in helping to understand the problem. A DC source is typically measured between positive and ground (or negative), not neutral.

At the moment, since you didn't mention anything other then GCFI going out, I'd consider them two separate issues.

Is the breaker for the 110 for the converter tripped?

Not to be a smart a$$, but you are apparently not familiar with my type of DC conver (IOTA 30 amp). There are output lugs labeled "positive, neutral, & ground". Between positive & neutral the output is zero. Between positive & ground the output is 20.7v.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said "No DC power between positive and neutral"

Neutral, is not a term we use on the 12 volt side of life, That term only applies to the 120 VAC side of life, and those two should not .. cross.

If you meant no voltage between Positive and Negative,, THEN, it should not cause issues on the 120vac side, unless it is shorted, in which case it will trip the breaker.. Now,, this same breaker on some rigs, may also feed the GFCI, and if it is shorted (120 volt side) and is "Downline" of the GFCI, it can trip the GFCI.

Finally, some converters will show no output in a bench test but work perfectly once they sense battery voltage.

You really need to know how the RV is wired.

OH, and things like the water heater, furnace, fridge and often air conditioners all need 12 volt for control reasons.

If you have a compter that controls your energy use (Load Shedding Energry Manager) it too runs on 12 volts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III