cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

totes or portable tanks

jetfrog
Explorer
Explorer
hi, i'm new at this. does any one carry a tote or portable tank with them? where do you carry it on your rv?
a wanna be
7 REPLIES 7

jetfrog
Explorer
Explorer
thank all of you for your answers. i was at some camp grounds and seen people with them. just tought it would be easyer than moving the rv.
a wanna be

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find that it is pretty easy with my C to make a quick run to the dump station from time to time. Pull in the slides, unhook the water hose, unplug and coil up the power cord; it would be even easier without slideout rooms. All such situations have been where the dump station has been close, within 1/2 mile of my campsite.

With a tote, you really need something to pull it. This would have been feasible when my towed vehicle was an old Ranger pickup (which could have also carried the tank while traveling), but not so feasible now that I'm towing a subcompact to the campground, and towing nothing when traveling.

You will find more tote users in the towable RV community. It can be more of a chore to decamp a TT or fiver, and hook it up for towing to the dump station. Users of towable RVs presumably have a tow vehicle adequate to haul the tote tank to the dump station. With a motorhome, you'd likely need to bring along a towed vehicle, or at least an ATV, to haul the tote to the dump station. Liquid waste is surprisingly heavy, in the quantities that build up in our waste tanks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
rockylarson wrote:
Spent some time boondocking in a remote location, not wanting to move the RV. Brought in water with a 400gallon water buffalo and toted out the waste. Used a macerator to pump into the tote kept in the back of a pickup while there. Haven't used it since ao it has been hanging off my rear ladder ever since.

You have a 400 gallon freshwater tank?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
We carried one in the bed of our truck when we had a TT. Our C has larger capacity tanks, so we didn't need the blue boy anymore - plus since we don't tow a car, I don't know how a blue boy would buy us anything unless we figured out a way to tow it with bikes.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
As I don't have a ladder on my trailer, the tote gets carried in the truck.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
jetfrog wrote:
hi, i'm new at this. does any one carry a tote or portable tank with them? where do you carry it on your rv?

With my travel trailer I kept my 35 gal tote in the pickup bed,with my Class C I strap it to the ladder rack with the bottom supported by a L shaped chair carrier, made for a ladder rack or put it on the ATV trailer I take with me sometimes.It would fit on my hitch haul but it would take up to much room on it taking away from Honda quiet gen/gas/coolers etc.

I use it more at home than I do on the road camping.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
Spent some time boondocking in a remote location, not wanting to move the RV. Brought in water with a 400gallon water buffalo and toted out the waste. Used a macerator to pump into the tote kept in the back of a pickup while there. Haven't used it since ao it has been hanging off my rear ladder ever since.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.