cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing with Patriot Brake

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a 2013 Honda CR-V. The last sentence in the towing instructions says to turn all electrical things off an don't plug into the accessory outlets. I have a Blue Ox Patriot brake assist that needs to be plugged into a 12 volt outlet. What do I do?
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
3 REPLIES 3

oldcoot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2014 Chevrolet Equinox AWD, we discovered the same issue we needed plug but everything when dead once the ignition was turn off. I found a plug in the rear of the car where GM put a 12 volt plug from the factory which is live when the ignition is turned off. So I picked up a 12 volt extension cord at Radio Shack. Works great.

Cbones
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Toyota Camry (manual trans) that I have been towing for years. I bought a cheap battery booster with a 12 volt cigarette lighter that I bought at Walmart years ago. I plug my Patriot into that, and I turn off the ignition switch, but leave the key in the ignition in the off position. By not removing the key after turning off the ignition, it prevents the steering lock from activating. (Confirm that your steering lock will not engage if you leave the key in the ignition by manually turning the steering wheel left and right lock to lock with the key in the off and inserted position. Not all ignition locks work this way.) I can tow several days without running down the booster battery. After I m done towing, I just charge the booster in the mh for the next trip. Just make sure that your steering lock is not locked, and you should be good to go. This alleviates the need to pull fuses, and if all else fails, you will know where the battery booster is if you need it.

mowdoc
Explorer
Explorer
Your Patriot requires battery power from the toad to work. Unfortunately, most cars 12v outlets do not power up with ign. key in off position or will time off shortly after key off.

You need to install, or have installed, a 12v outlet that is live all the time. Plug your Patriot into that and you are ready to go. Most install this full time outlet down by driver feet on the kick panel or e-brake bracket.

Remember, the Patriot will require about 4 hours time plugged into a hot outlet in order to recharge it's internal battery. This battery is not used to stop your toad under normal use. It is there to power the brake if the break-away cord is pulled out to power the Patriot while the toad stops itself. If you plug in and take off down the road, the Patriot will work fine but needs a few minutes charging time before emergency power will available.
2015 Jayco Precept 35UN
named
"Free Range Chicken"