cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPS

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased 2 APC UPS battery backup to keep the receivers on and not have to reboot constantly. It's working great on shore power but when I plug into the inverter the building wiring fault light comes on. The inverter is working as it always has. The people at APC say the inverter needs to be grounded, well it is grounded so not sure what they mean?. They said the ups will work even with the building wire fault on but if it won't be covered under warranty if it malfunctions.
Hoping someone can shed some light on this

Double post
See other thread running
Thanks

Admin
RV. Net
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
4 REPLIES 4

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
UPS devices have issues running on inverters. But I don't see the need to run a UPS on an inverter since they basically do the same thing.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a post with some excellent advice....Dennis

Power supply
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would guess that the neutral and "ground" are not bonded by the inverter.

It's possible that you could fiddle with e.g. the transfer switch setup for the inverter to bond them when using the inverter (and only when using the inverter). However, it's also at least theoretically possible that the inverter would not work with its neutral output bonded to ground with some output circuit designs. You'd have to consult the inverter maker.

I personally wouldn't worry too much about the light. My guess is that in practice either they would cover any reasonable fault under warranty and have the disclaimer for the odd situation where the building wiring is dangerously faulty, or else they would try to avoid warranty coverage for using the UPS with an inverter in the first place, apparent wiring fault or not.

ILVMYGT
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a modified sine wave inverter? Modified sine wave inverter can cause interesting issues with some equipment.
2000 Country Coach Magna
CAT 385HP Allison 6sp
1998 Saturn SW2