cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

W22 steering wander

norisezp
Explorer
Explorer
I am a newbie. So, if there are already posts on this topic, I'll shut this one down and join one of those discussions. However, multiple searches yielded nothing about this.

I have a 2003 Southwind 36T on a W22 chassis. On a recent long trip, I got VERY fatigued trying to keep the thing in my lane. The steering had to be jiggled all the time to do so. This level of concentration severely limited the time I could spend driving to a couple of hours, about 150 miles. I cannot believe that this is right. Does anyone have suggestions on making this better?
18 REPLIES 18

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
I would guess that your tires are over inflated. Although having your coach weighed and inflating the tires to the load specs is the best remedy, a quick fix would be to check the manufacturers recommended tire inflation levels posted on the plate on the inside of your drivers door at the bottom.
2010 Suncruiser

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First as someone said Get it weighted and inflate tires per load. may be different wheel to wheel. 2nd alignment

Now.. there are 3 issues with many Motor homes.
SWAY Not normally an issue with Workhorse this is side to side Swaying or Rocking. like fans at a rock concert holding up their BIC's during "We are the world".

An improved sway bar can help but WORKHORSE did not skimp on the sway bars.

WAG.. LEAF SPRING suspension (Which workhorse has on all 4 corners) allows the body to move side to side over the axle.. Now if one end moves right and the other left you THINK you are drifting so you compensate.. Then the ends swap and you now think you are drifting the other way and compensate and.. Well .. It is very tiring.

TRAC BARS. also known as PAN HARD bars.. Stop this dead in its tracks. 100% effective if you put on two of 'em one front one rear. (I just did front)

Finally steering stablizers like the Blue Ox Tru-Center (Which I have) or the Safe-T-Steer (which did not offer a "Remote recenter" option when I got my Blue OX.. that option I recommend) help to keep you "on the straight and narrow" as it were. and since your RV is 6" larger than most anything else you may ever drive.. the road is NARROW (The only other vehicle allowed on main roads that wide is a flat bed tow truck and yes.. I drove one once).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would add a steering stabilizer, there are a couple good ones out there. You might check the front and rear track bars. Would also
Find the Southwind forum,they should have some great info. Remember that you are driving a big box down the road.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The first thing you need to get done is to have your coach weighed. Then you adjust your tire air pressure according to your weight when loaded for travel. Most coaches will handle better if the front end is loaded close to the maximum axle weight. A lightly loaded front axle will tend to wander.
Naturally you also need to have the suspension checked for loose/worn components.