cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water in toilet drains out slowly

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is, water left in the bowel very slowly drains out of the bowel in my Class C. In my 5ver, the water drains out twice as fast -- unless I push on the ''round white ball'' that seals the drain hole.

I've accessed the mechanisms next to the bowel ''pedal'' lubing moving parts, cleaned the rubber type seal around the hole where the white ball makes contact. Not sure I'm addressing the problems correctly.

Any advice on this?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the olive oil 'trick' is working for me as well.
Thanks for the tip-always good to have first hand tried and true remedies/fixes figured out.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II
The olive oil worked for me. Thanks for that!

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
for my dometic, the bowel had to come off along with the foot pedal but the main pipe that the bowel sits on, which is attached to the floor remains bolted to the bathroom floor during the repair.

SpoiledRotten
Explorer
Explorer
Is the seal replaceable without taking the toilet out? I just went out and put olive oil in the bowl. Maybe that will revitalize the seal.
Just the 3 of us...SpoiledRotten, TotallyRotten, and ALittleRotten
2000 F-250 Lariat, CC
7.3 PSTD-Superchipped
2005 33RL2 New Vision - AKA "SpoiledRotten"
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
rmasonschneider wrote:
give Vaseline a try and if that doesn't keep it sealed, time to change the rubber seals. But realize that most will leak water into the black tank over time...for mine, water will stay in the bowl about 10 days before either evaporating or draining to the black tank.

good luck

Any petroleum product, like Vaseline, will deteriorate the rubber in the seals over time, guaranteeing a need to replace the seals later.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
I do not seem to have good luck with the ball seals. It is pretty dry where I live and they dry out about every 2 years. At $18 I suppose it is not an expensive maintenance item.
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Kennyg
Explorer
Explorer
Leland2 wrote:
rmasonschneider wrote:
give Vaseline a try and if that doesn't keep it sealed, time to change the rubber seals. But realize that most will leak water into the black tank over time...for mine, water will stay in the bowl about 10 days before either evaporating or draining to the black tank.

good luck

I'll try the vaseline.

For my 5ver, where water has never stayed in the bowel (draining in probably an hour or so), do you think the seal came defective from the factory? Guess I'll replace that seal too.

Revised: Googled this stuff and found out about the seal, removing the toilet, etc. Wow. I had no clue.

Just curious -- have others done this job? 12 year old Class C, a seal I've never cleaned, it's held up pretty well.

If you need to purchase the rubber gaskets, do so on-line! I needed rubber seal and went to local RV cener. They wanted $40. Went to camping world web site and purchased exact same for well under $20!!
Kennyg

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Olive oil keeps my seals nice and supple.
I just pour a little on top when store it for a while.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

rick_flor
Explorer
Explorer
try turning off the water taking a mirror and looking for debris in the gap like toilet paper or other stuff.

good luck

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Vaseline or ANY petroleum product should not be used on the seal. Plumbers grease (silicon) or olive oil are your best bets. Starting with a clean seal will be a big help.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
I use olive oil on it or Pam works great no leaking do it a couple times a season
I dont rent out space in my brain

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II
rmasonschneider wrote:

good luck

I'll try the vaseline.

For my 5ver, where water has never stayed in the bowel (draining in probably an hour or so), do you think the seal came defective from the factory? Guess I'll replace that seal too.

Revised: Googled this stuff and found out about the seal, removing the toilet, etc. Wow. I had no clue.

Just curious -- have others done this job? 12 year old Class C, a seal I've never cleaned, it's held up pretty well.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leland2 wrote:
That is, water left in the bowel very slowly drains out of the bowel in my Class C
As long as it's not your bowel.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer

good luck