cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterless coolant

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older Bounder with a 460 engine I just had to have a water pump replaced and all new coolant put in
is it worth putting in the waterless coolant ?
I've heard about it but don't know if it's worth it or not.
Needless to say I do have to have all the new coolant drained in the system purged so they could put it in
is it worth the money and how long does the waterless coolant last compared to how often I need to have the coolant changed.
Thank you
Eric
23 REPLIES 23

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
RLS the best I can do, is the following Clicky. click on the "see more" to view the core material. I no-longer own my 460 so I can't verify.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

mercedesme28
Explorer
Explorer
My Bounder is a 92 so I think it has a copper brass radiator, how often do you change the coolant if you go with regular coolant I waited four years and it screwed everything up from what I was told I was also told I should change it every two years...
From what I understand the waterless coolant creates no mineral buildup or reaction with the metals
Runs cooler,( I'm in AZ a lot) and it lasts 4 times as long

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I had a 460 and changed the fluid every 5 years. It loved the green stuff and always ran a little cooler after the change.

Remember the radiator is not copper but aluminum, I would always be a little concern with going with something that wasn't OEM because of that. On that topic, distilled water is your friend when you're using straight antifreeze with that 460.

When did Ford use Aluminum radiators on their 460 F53s?
My 95 460 F53 came from the factory with a copper/brass/composite radiator.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 For distilled only to mix with OEM recommended coolant.
Also recommend distilled for the rinse out or flush.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
I would replace coolant with what Ford recommends. I always use distilled water to mix with the coolant.

Good luck & safe travels
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 460 and changed the fluid every 5 years. It loved the green stuff and always ran a little cooler after the change.

Remember the radiator is not copper but aluminum, I would always be a little concern with going with something that wasn't OEM because of that. On that topic, distilled water is your friend when you're using straight antifreeze with that 460.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Will the waterless coolant do anything to remove the mineral buildup inside your old radiator? Is the specific heat transfer greater than 60-40 water and antifreeze? If not I don't think it would be worth it for an old radiator.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
At about $40 a gallon, I think I would pass on it and just keep the coolant that you have. You would have to carry a jug of it to replenish if needed.

Some makes claim lifetime.

Amen! And since you can go 100,000-150,000 miles between coolant changes, what's the point? I've never had a coolant related failure on any of my vehicles and I do about 30k miles a year.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
At about $40 a gallon, I think I would pass on it and just keep the coolant that you have. You would have to carry a jug of it to replenish if needed.

Some makes claim lifetime.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog