cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Way to Filter HWH Fluid ?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn Voyage with HWH hydraulic system for jacks and slides.

On a recent trip I had a hydraulic fluid leak at a check valve on the HWH manifold. When I unscrewed the cap and pulled out the check valve it had debris on it, looked like a flake of paint.

I find no info in HWH literature of any way to drain the system and refill with clean fluid. I did find a YouTube of a guy who rigged a way to pump out all his fluid through a filter.

My question is, curious if anyone knows of a way to permanently insert a filter in the HWH system somewhere to catch debris in the hydraulic fluid as it is being used?

Just trying to avoid future problems if possible, weighing options....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
K Charles wrote:
My HWH manual shows a filter in the tank on the suction side of the pump with no provisions for easy removal. If HWH isn't worried I don't think we should be.

HWH does NOT have that filter as a replacement part. Doug

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My HWH manual shows a filter in the tank on the suction side of the pump with no provisions for easy removal. If HWH isn't worried I don't think we should be.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
While you found a speck of debris, that is very unusual. Do not worry about contaminated HWH fluid. There IS a filter on the pick up tube in the bottom of the reservoir. Doug

10 micron filter on the bottom of the pick up tube

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I doubt you have a low pressure return line but if you do for that size particles I would put a inline fuel filter. You could drain all the fluid and put ATF back in.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Have never seen an external filter on their system.

But, changing fluid is pretty simple.

4' of cheap clear plastic hose. Stick one end into the reservoir. Suck on the other end until you see fluid coming up. Lower your end and siphon out the fluid. Move the tank end around the bottom of the tank to "vacuum" any debris off the bottom.

If a lot of debris, you can use a screwdriver to "stir" the fluid.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/