cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We don't "Camp" ...We sell at shows. What would you do?

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
After lurking and reading for some time I feel the need to post this question. I don't know if an RV is right for my wife and me but I think it could be.
We sell at shows from Utah to Missouri, Colorado, Arizona, Texas - basically a one day (long) van drive from Denver. We're out 2 to 3 weekends per month - 4 or 5 days on the road for each "away game" we do.
We have a van and cargo trailer. We currently bask in Two Star Hotel Luxury - usually Choice Hotel chain properties. We spend anywhere from $350 to $500 per show -- I'd say average $1100 per month on hotels.
An RV would allow us to stay out for a few weeks reducing the "Out and Back" trips we make now. (We've put close to 60,000 miles on the van in 18 months)

If we were to use an RV we'd need to trailer tow a full size van because that would hold our setup and inventory as well as provide ground transportation. The problem with just a coach is that many of the venues have tight loading areas and I couldn't get close with a long Class A and 14' trailer. We need to be able to stay and work in the rig - desk...place to pack small boxes for internet orders and so forth. We need a good shower as we have to be presentable at the shows. Two sleeping areas would be ideal. One Queen Size Bed would be work if we were still in our 20's but now....not so much.

We're in our 60's and will be doing this for another 5 years health allowing. This leads me to think a good used rig that we can afford or for which we'd have a modest note.

Anyway - I'm posting this in Class A. A C might work but I think it would be just too small. I can't be the only person to have these questions....what would you do?
38 REPLIES 38

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
At 'shows' we've attended there are always big RVs and trailers parked from the vendors. Somehow they get their wares to the shows. Have you ever driven a long vehicle? Perhaps you 'think' you can't park but you'd be surprised at how easy it is. Think of the big semi trucks backing in to the docking areas in cities. Many times they don't have a lot of room. We've been amazed at watching them at times.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I know any time we go to a trades day/flea market, there are always a lot of dealer occupied RVs of all types parked on the trades day's grounds. Good friend used a 30' TT for that for many years. Apparently it works for a lot of people.

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Thousands of Class "A"s pulling large cargo trailers, why wouldn't that work?

You could go as far as full time on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes - I see them on the road. As I mention though, the loading areas at many of the venues is quite tight. I couldn't get a 38' A and a trailer near them. I might be able to change how I pack and set-up to make my display more of a roll-in...

Can't full time - we make what we sell and need to be home based to do that. BTW - in that Simba I'd like the cargo bay for an office/shop!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Thousands of Class "A"s pulling large cargo trailers, why wouldn't that work?

You could go as far as full time on the road ๐Ÿ™‚
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Note that most gassers won't haul as much product or tow as much as a DP.

That's what I'm thinking as well

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Note that most gassers won't haul as much product or tow as much as a DP.

Lew_Schiller
Explorer
Explorer
Well that Simba is quite interesting. Never knew of a Class A with a garage. I do know a guy who uses a Super C with a lift gate and garage but the living quarters are sparse.
A Toy Hauler trailer ... hmmm...would have to be a bumper pull towed behind a van.
Something to consider.

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I think a class A toyhauler might solve your problems, take a look at this one that recently sold at ppl in Houston http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel/2007-Simba-30874.htm Simba toyhauler it has a garage with lift in the back that could be used to haul merchandise and convert into a multi function space or bedroom when empty. There is also another bed in the ceiling up front, and a sofa bed in this layout. Then just tow a small car behind for running around.

p.s. PPL's sold list shows the 07 Simba toyhauler sold for $38,500

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever looked at Toyhaulers?
They are basically a Travel Trailer or 5th wheel camper with an open bay 8' wide 6'6" tall by whatever length unit you get. Some have garage lengths of 15' or more.
They still have all needed amenities in the front half for living quarters, they usually have fold up sofa's or bunk beds in the back, but removing those is not a problem.
You would be able to load for the trip, stay at a site , pack up and go to a park for a few days, have your stuff with you to move to the next, and between shows your truck or van is free for travel locally.
And since the rear lays down and becomes a ramp loading and unloading may be a lot easier too.