Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Went to an RV Show Yesterday

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all

I have two questions for you today ??

Went to an RV show yesterday to specifically sit in and get a feel for the Sunseeker 3010ds. It’s an awesome floorplan both with the slides open and closed and would fit our family beautifully. We also came upon a Coachmen Leprechaun 319mb. Loved the outdoor kitchen set up but I wasn’t a fan of the TV on the counter. My hubby didn't mind the TV on the counter. Anyone have any experience with these models good or bad? I know they are both made by the same company but have read that Coachmen are made poorly. As a side note, we will not be buying a new model and are looking at a used unit, 2 to 3 years old.

Also, I know that generators have the ability to have an automatic start in the event the power goes out. I asked the sales guy if that was an option for the Sunseeker and he said no, they cannot add that feature while the sales guy for the Leprechaun said yes, they could add that. Are there only certain models that would have the capability of adding this feature?

Thanks for reading and any input you can give. We are still researching….one step at a time!;)
18 REPLIES 18

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing I've learned (the hard way I might add) is, the more convenience and 'automatic' features any RV has, the more they break down as the acquire some age and the more it costs to get in fixed.

My latest one (I've had 5) is simple.

Convenience and automatic stuff is nice when new. Then it gets to be an issue.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
6ofus wrote:
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
As to the Generator, all newer units have generators with a remote start capability, usually both on the van dash and in the coach. They are not normally set up to "automatically" start when outside power is off or it would be trying to run every time you were storing or driving it.

So I guess my question should be, is there something out there that would give a unit this option if it did not have it to begin with? Or is there an app that would tell me if we lost power? Worried about the dog.

I would think so, Back up home generators have an additional control that specifically monitors power and automatically starts a unit.
I wouldn't think it should be all that different to have the same ability added to an RV, But I would start by contacting someone who installs and services the home units. They will be more familiar with this type of control and its installation.
And remember , you will need a shut off or by-pass to allow you to disconnect and travel or store the unit. Those aren't normally concerns for the home units.

Edit add on; For the dog concern, there are security systems which will also monitor temp, security, fire, as well as sensors for power, they will require an added internet connection for the motorhome and then would notify your phone. I have seen them discussed in here, but do not remember the name of the systems.

6ofus
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo wrote:
As to the Generator, all newer units have generators with a remote start capability, usually both on the van dash and in the coach. They are not normally set up to "automatically" start when outside power is off or it would be trying to run every time you were storing or driving it.

So I guess my question should be, is there something out there that would give a unit this option if it did not have it to begin with? Or is there an app that would tell me if we lost power? Worried about the dog.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
The two you mentioned aren't that different in quality, especially after a couple years use as to matter. More important is to look for maintenance and signs of heavy use, both mileage and wear. Water intrusion and the subsequent damage are the biggest concerns.