cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What coach would you buy for $$$$ ?

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
After looking around at forums and spending time at dealer sights and sales people. Here is what I know that I know that I want. The coach will be for my wife and me and we will travel off and on about half the year. We are not sure of the full timing aspect but would want to buy a coach with that at least in mind.

A couple things I will add. I do not want to buy a coach where the company is out of business.

I would like to have your recommendation on what to buy?

1. Spend $200,000.00
2. Will finance most of it (my banks will not loan on a coach over 10 years old)
3. Pre - Owner Diesel Pusher

Here are the “must haves” in the coach.
• 45’ Motorhome
• Bath and a half
• Two or more slides
• Access to all main areas of coach with slides in
• Mid station TV at Eye-Level. (a power lift a plus)
• Fireplace
• King or Queen bed
• Full size shower
• Large closets and drawers
• Stacking washer-dryer - No Combo
• Unlimited hot water
• Auto start generator
• Tile floors.

Thanks for your help,

HJ
111 REPLIES 111

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a high end quality over newness type of guy, but having said that and given your criteria, here's something close and the place you should probably be watching on a daily basis for exactly what you want....PPL
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rvbmw94
Explorer
Explorer
HOM wrote:
To recap my question I have re-posted my request for your help shown below.

1. Spend $200,000.00
2. Will finance most of it (my banks will not loan on a coach over 10 years old)
3. Pre - Owner Diesel Pusher

Here are the “must haves” in the coach.
• 45’ Motorhome
• Bath and a half
• Two or more slides
• Access to all main areas of coach with slides in
• Mid station TV at Eye-Level. (a power lift a plus)
• Fireplace
• King or Queen bed
• Full size shower
• Large closets and drawers
• Stacking washer-dryer - No Combo
• Unlimited hot water
• Auto start generator
• Tile floors.

The majority consensus for the right coach’s if I have it right is a 2005 to 2009 of the following brands.

1. Bluebird Wanderlodge
2. Country Coach
3. American Coach Eagle - Heritage • Newmar Essex - King Aire

As a side note, I have not found a single Wanderlodge with a Bath and a half and that for me is a deal-breaker. Someone made a post saying they made very few Bath and a half’s and that is what I found.

You also were in agreement that Newell and Prevost would stay off the list because of the $200,000.00 limitation.

Do I have it about right?

I couldn’t thank you enough for your help, I now know that I have good direction and can find what I want in the group listed above.

Thank you all very much,

HJ

Forget Bluebird, way to complicated of a coach for your first timer. (Sorry BB guys)
Tiffin is good, just check to make sure the "top 3" items on the coach has been done at Redbay.
IMO, the "high-end" line of coaches for the best value is
American Heritage (older 2005-2006 range)
Country Coach (Magna) problem is I don't think they build a bath & 1/2.
Monaco (Signature)
RVOne has a 2006 Heritage, really clean, at their Orlando store.
Robin, the Diesel Manager over there showed it to me when I was there for service.
Check their site out.

Hope this helps.

Rob & Victoria
2011 Entegra Aspire 42RB

bigdisplay
Explorer
Explorer
For two hundred k look for a(2009-2011 era) Beaver Marquis,American revolution or beaver Patriot thunder, allegro bus or Newmar mountain air, country coach monaco signature series or dynasty

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.portersrvsales.com/06_Travel_Supreme_Select.php#
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

ervinglobal
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
HOM, did you ever find a coach fitting your requirements?

Cloud Dancer is on to something. The Tiffin products are very nice looking and priced reasonably. The Phaeton is one step below the Allegro Bus and is offered in a single or tag axle. A new one might be more than the $200,000 budget that you set but one a couple of years old might fit the bill.

MM.

Sorry, I didn't mean to post it that way. All of us have a preference and a budget to work with. I myself wanted the Entegra Anthem but I could not afford it. I believe that Cummins have a better reputation over Maxxforce. In this category they all have their pros and cons the main thing is, it has to fit your budget and liking. This coach was my life saving and in general I'm happy with it. Maxxforce or Cummins was not a decider factor for me.Time will tell.
Cheers
Happy shopping

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
HOM, did you ever find a coach fitting your requirements?

Cloud Dancer is on to something. The Tiffin products are very nice looking and priced reasonably. The Phaeton is one step below the Allegro Bus and is offered in a single or tag axle. A new one might be more than the $200,000 budget that you set but one a couple of years old might fit the bill.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
ervinglobal wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
HOM wrote:
Isn't Monaco the one with the MaxxForce diesel? I've not heard anything good about that engine!

There was a short period where Navistar put the MaxxForce engine in their Monaco coaches. They also put in Cummins at first. The new Monaco will use Cummins.

Country Coaches did convert their coaches on a Prevost XL chassis (not the H3) but that was not their regular chassis. The very last Country Coach was built in 2010.

Monaco also used the Prevost chassis and called it the Prevost Royale (XL chassis).

The CC and Monaco Prevost chassis coaches of that period would have the Detroit Diesel as the power plant.
I have a Maxxforce 10 in my Monaco Diplomat it's a fine engine.

MM.

The Maxxforce (the larger engine) had trouble meeting EPA standards and was fined for each engine produced.

Interesting how your post is at the end of mine making it look like I owned the Diplomat. Nice coach, the new Monaco is keeping the Diplomat line.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do what I did. Check out the new Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP, and you will find it's exactly what would make you happy, PLUS be everything you ever wanted in a coach.
And BTW, I've never been able to afford exactly what I wanted,....either.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

ervinglobal
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
HOM wrote:
Isn't Monaco the one with the MaxxForce diesel? I've not heard anything good about that engine!

There was a short period where Navistar put the MaxxForce engine in their Monaco coaches. They also put in Cummins at first. The new Monaco will use Cummins.

Country Coaches did convert their coaches on a Prevost XL chassis (not the H3) but that was not their regular chassis. The very last Country Coach was built in 2010.

Monaco also used the Prevost chassis and called it the Prevost Royale (XL chassis).

The CC and Monaco Prevost chassis coaches of that period would have the Detroit Diesel as the power plant.
I have a Maxxforce 10 in my Monaco Diplomat it's a fine engine.

MM.

VP33
Explorer
Explorer
HOM - go to wanderlodgeownersgroup.com and click on the second bye-bye bluebird banner. There is a beautiful 2005 M450 Wanderlodge for $198K asking listed there right now.

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
There used to be a RV sales called Beaksley just a couple of miles from Unadilla, Ga that used to sell Wanderlodge and Beaver coaches. I stopped there and was really impressed with the Wanderlodge. They had several brand new coaches there. I believe it was in 2003, but I am not really sure because I have been through there several times. I think that place went belly up during the recession. Not sure if somebody else took it over.

But like DSDP mentioned on his post. The price was way up over my budget at the time.

Bleakley retired and got out of the business. His place has been closed since about 2008 or so (maybe 2009?).
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

Joatha
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

Talking about Wanderlodge's really is out of my realm as I really haven't followed them. They are very 'bus-like'. A couple of guys in my RV club have one (no slides). And, I'm not sure if they made them with slides or not. Maybe someone here knows more about them.

Good luck,
Mark

Slides were available in 1999 and later in Wanderlodges.

ALL Wanderlodge's were equipped with slides starting in 2002.

I have a 2001 LX and it doesn't have any slides. That was my preference, though. Its just the wife and I and moving from a 31 foot 1990 Winnebago to a 2001 Wanderlodge LX was plenty of size for us. Our trips are generally not long enough for slides to be a big deal at this point in our lives. Someday when we take month(s)-long trips, then we'll likely want to move to something with a slide.

The 2006 M450's are very nice coaches. There was only one issue with those coaches - weight. They came from the factory with weight issues on the front axle. But, there were recalls and things done to many of them (but not all). If you go with a 2006, I'd just make sure it gets weighed on all axles and that you aren't overweight.

There were precious few Wanderlodge's after 2006. That was really the last year of many hitting the road. There are a few 2007 (which are really 2006's that carried over) and I think there were 2-3 2008 coaches and 1 2009 (maybe a second??). The 1998-2005 coaches are all very nice as well, though. You wouldn't believe that my 2001 is 13 years old.
2001 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX ME

HOM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mr. Mark, I did that a few days ago. My list is now "Deal Breakers" like the bath & a half and stackable washer and dryer, to "Would Like" like Fireplace.

Thanks as always,

HJ

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
HOM, on your list you could add the Monaco Signature, Monaco Executive and Monaco Dynasty as they made a bath and a half. It might be hard to find EVERYTHING on your list in a used coach. I'm thinking the fireplace might be hard to find as they seem to be more of a 'new' thing.

Your list is kinda long for 'must haves'. You should separate them to 'MUST HAVES', 'WOULD LIKE TO HAVE' and 'IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE'. Some of your items could be added to an existing coach.

When buying used, you have compromises.

MM.
Mr.Mark