cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What in the world is this thing

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I am stumped by this one thing we have on our 1996 National Dolphin.

The cabinet above the passenger has always had this white cord which is plugged in. I never could figure out what it was for or where it went until recently doing some remodeling.

Which only added more questions, because this cord runs to an Omron 120VAC to 12VDC relay under the dashboard. From there I cannot quite tell where the DC wires go to... possibly the cig lighter, possibly something else...

Does anyone know what this thing is for? I've searched high and low and cannot find anything on this.

'96 Dolphin with '14 Fiat 500 Toad
12 REPLIES 12

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
treeDodgingCamper wrote:

What's ironic about the whole "safety functionality" of this is that the owner would simply have had to unplug the TV from that white cord and plugged directly into the outlet to bypass the ignition relay.

Yeah, but some people aren't that smart.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
treeDodgingCamper wrote:
I am stumped by this one thing we have on our 1996 National Dolphin.

The cabinet above the passenger has always had this white cord which is plugged in. I never could figure out what it was for or where it went until recently doing some remodeling.

Which only added more questions, because this cord runs to an Omron 120VAC to 12VDC relay under the dashboard. From there I cannot quite tell where the DC wires go to... possibly the cig lighter, possibly something else...

Does anyone know what this thing is for? I've searched high and low and cannot find anything on this.

That is the thingamabob that controls the bobamathing.

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
THe outlet has power unless you start the motor home.

Another possible use for such a relay... If it is dpdt or 3pdt is to transfer between MAINS power and INVERTER if you have one.

I knew I didn't have an inverter (but after finding that relay I admit I was hopeful maybe there was a "hidden" one haha), so that was one of my first thoughts.

That being said, I have a "charger/converter" to the left of my entry door in the bay and then I have an inverter that I added myself to the right in the bay. My current problems with this setup are 1) I have to manually plug into the inverter 2) It's not a true sine so it buzzes all my electronics 3) I have 2 12v house batteries that don't last very long on it

That will have to be a project for another time however, right now I'm tackling a number of other things, including fabricating my own jack controller instead of paying $750 for a new one (I should make a video for this actually)

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here's what was catching me up, it's not the outlet that doesn't have power, it's only that white extension cord and the extension outlet on it that powers down when the ignition goes on.

So long story short Corkey05 was originally correct and I'll probably just delete this entire cord as I'll have no use for it.

What's ironic about the whole "safety functionality" of this is that the owner would simply have had to unplug the TV from that white cord and plugged directly into the outlet to bypass the ignition relay.

Just glad I have it all sorted and know what this is now, thanks for the help everyone!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:

Another possible use for such a relay... If it is dpdt or 3pdt is to transfer between MAINS power and INVERTER if you have one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"that seems have also have a cigarette lighter in it."

Care for a smoke?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Gotcha, thanks for the help

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
If you plug the outlet into a duplex it becomes switched by the 12v relay (ignition) ... plug the TV into this white outlet and the TV won't receive power if the ignition is ON or in RUN. Turn off the ignition and the outlet again receives power & the TV will work.

The whole idea is to prevent the TV from working while driving.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
I just went out and looked again, and that switch controls an old tv antenna thing that seems have also have a cigarette lighter in it.

treeDodgingCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting, tyvm, the television would have indeed been plugged into that same outlet.

We've since moved the location of the television.

So how exactly does that work though? Because that outlet seems to always have power, unless I'm mistaken...

Also, that switch there, no idea what it does.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I'll throw out a wild guess and say it could be the ignition relay to the TV ... with ignition on the relay disconnects power to the Television source of power. Was the television ever plugged into the outlet?
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292