cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What power steps do I have

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning all. I plan on replacing the power steps on our 2010 Damon Challenger 368 this off season. They did have a recall but as per Camping World this didn't solve the problem.

When I open the door the gear works to try to extend the steps but is not making contact with the mechanism that actually extends them.

CW quoted me a price of 1800 just for the steps, not including installation. I'm sure I can figure out how to install new steps.

I'm a parts changer at best, not a mechanic. So if I'm told what to replace I can usually take care of it. When it comes to diagnosing issues, not so much.

Thanks, and happy weekend!

Bob
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI
7 REPLIES 7

Ray_IN
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those that have Kiwkee brand steps,this is very useful: Kwikee Products Service Training Manual
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom pushed by a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you โ€” ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Bruce_Brown
dougrainer wrote:
As to this subject. I have almost 45 years working as a Technician in the RV field. The PROBLEM that has happened in the past 20 to 25 years is, NOBODY, knows how to fix anything anymore. The Industry has been populated with just PART CHANGERS. They just change parts until they find and fix the problem. YOU PAY FOR THIS IGNORANCE. Doug

Absolutely! It's everywhere.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
As to this subject. I have almost 45 years working as a Technician in the RV field. The PROBLEM that has happened in the past 20 to 25 years is, NOBODY, knows how to fix anything anymore. The Industry has been populated with just PART CHANGERS. They just change parts until they find and fix the problem. YOU PAY FOR THIS IGNORANCE. Doug

On this Doug.. We agree 1000%.

My Tri-Mark door lock.. The (@#$@#*( Striker bolt broke. 100 for a new lock in 2006 or about 25 bucks to have a fabricator make a new striker bolt (not the best job) 40 to do a job that looks factory perfect but..> Way better metal (Basement latches I had done right 40 a pop)

The design fault.. Tri-Mark used cheap pot metal and the highest stress point is the weakest point on the bolt.

I had Seneca Engineering carve 'em out of steel He did an amazing job on the basement lock (Senica Engineering in Seneca, SC by the way)

The door latch was done by a local welding shop Both were superior to the original product Both were steel.

But then.... I have an engineering credit or two and did some machinist work as well so I know the old way not just the trash it and replace it method.

Far too many "Just put in a new one" folks these days.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJL
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
2010. If you had a recall, that means you have the original LCI/Coach Step brand. Double steps complete, are anywhere from $700 to $1000 (E Trailer)depending on the model(Kwikee). TRIPLE steps(Kwikee) are about $1300. Kwikee is about the ONLY replacement you can use. The wires on your original step can be used. The installation requires you have to drill 4 new mount holes in the mount plate of the new step. AND you may have to change out the door frame pin switch or Magnet if you have either. We charge 2 hours labor($175 per hour) to replace steps when the new step has to be drilled for the mount holes and door switch modified. The NEW steps come with all necessary hardware and door switches. So, as you can see, CW is selling you a step with almost $1000 mark up over THEIR cost which is LESS than E trailer. Doug

PS, your desription of the problem points to a (what I call it) PIE gear that has broken teeth. $52.

https://store.lci1.com/coach-step-gear-plate-assemblies-black-163164

This is the recall Kit.

https://store.lci1.com/coach-step-recall-kit-various-sizes-coach-step-recall-kit

This is the motor $140. So, if you need BOTH parts less than $200 to fix.

https://store.lci1.com/imgl-step-motor-and-screws-14nm-676061

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.
2010 Damon Challenger 368, F-53 Chasis
2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon unlimited, Toad
2018 Ram 1500 4x4, Club Cab, 6.4 bed,3.92 gears, 5.7 HEMI
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body, 6.4 HEMI

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2010. If you had a recall, that means you have the original LCI/Coach Step brand. Double steps complete, are anywhere from $700 to $1000 (E Trailer)depending on the model(Kwikee). TRIPLE steps(Kwikee) are about $1300. Kwikee is about the ONLY replacement you can use. The wires on your original step can be used. The installation requires you have to drill 4 new mount holes in the mount plate of the new step. AND you may have to change out the door frame pin switch or Magnet if you have either. We charge 2 hours labor($175 per hour) to replace steps when the new step has to be drilled for the mount holes and door switch modified. The NEW steps come with all necessary hardware and door switches. So, as you can see, CW is selling you a step with almost $1000 mark up over THEIR cost which is LESS than E trailer. Doug

PS, your desription of the problem points to a (what I call it) PIE gear that has broken teeth. $52.

https://store.lci1.com/coach-step-gear-plate-assemblies-black-163164

This is the recall Kit.

https://store.lci1.com/coach-step-recall-kit-various-sizes-coach-step-recall-kit

This is the motor $140. So, if you need BOTH parts less than $200 to fix.

https://store.lci1.com/imgl-step-motor-and-screws-14nm-676061

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to identify step by going under them and getting Make off control box.
Measure width of steps and number of steps.
Odds are they are Lippert brand. Lippert
I would not have taken rig to Camping World.
I got a like new step from Colaw

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker