cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What RV to buy for my towing needs?

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everybody. I've been looking for a Motorhome capable of towing a two car trailer, but when I search RVs nobody mentions its towing capacity and most of the time the owners only know the motor's HP but not the Torque rating and I know that's what I need to figure out if its going to be good or not for my needs.

I'm looking to spend less than $35,000 on the motorhome and I've found some big diesel pushers for around that price or less, but some research has led me to believe that the engines on those are not going to be enough for my towing needs, so here's what I need and I hope you guys can tell me from experience what would be a good RV to buy.

-I don't need a lot of room so actually a short RV that sleeps 4 people is good enough.
-Is a Diesel pusher better for towing that a front engined diesel?? and is a V10 gasoline engine an option?? (I rather do diesel tho)
-I want to tow a two car trailer with two lightweight racecars (maybe 2,200lbs each, so maybe no more than 8,000lbs.
-Also I don't need it to be super fast, but just reliable on uphills (no warming up or running out of power)

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Moved to Class A Motorhome forum from Towing at OP request.

41 REPLIES 41

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
I'd guess that you will also need to keep an eye on overall length legal limits, given the pictured trailer.

I agree, so far I'm almost sure its ok because I've seen many people doing it, but right now that's not my concern. But I sure will look into that! Thaks!

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd guess that you will also need to keep an eye on overall length legal limits, given the pictured trailer.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Well, if they weren't meant for towing they wouldn't be equipped with tow hitches and nobody would use them to tow their big trailers. But a lot of people do it so I guess there has to be certain models that are capable of doing so, and that's what I'm asking here... I want to know which models have the right engine/frame for my needs

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Guyver280z wrote:
Actually we used to tow it with a Nissan Titan and it was a bit slow going uphill, so I believe a motorhome should have plently of power, right??

A motorhome with "plenty of power" also has "plenty of work to do". Most mfr's aren't going to put any more engine in a rig than it needs in order to push the "house" down the road. Tow capacity is gravy, but not an important design parameter.

A pickup, on the other hand, is meant from the get-go for hauling/towing and is designed accordingly. In most cases.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Actually we used to tow it with a Nissan Titan and it was a bit slow going uphill, so I believe a motorhome should have plently of power, right??

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
This is our trailer and the cars we tow on it.

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
But Ive seen a lot of people doing this, it isn't a heavy load, we usually move this loaded trailer with an F-350 Turbo diesel.

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, thanks!! I'll definitely be looking for a "trailer toad".

But still I don't know what RV to buy or how to choose the right motor and engine configuration (pusher or front engine) etc.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was watching a RV show the other night and they said that MH's like what you are looking at are designed to haul people, the Kingsley coach like shown above is a truck chassis and that being said, is designed to haul freight, so that type would be more suited to meet your needs. I think they are right when it comes to a work horse like you want.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My pal Luther-the-car-collector looked into this very question awhile back. 5,000 pounds is the typical upper limit for most motor homes to tow, and weaknesses aren't always in the engine.

Very interesting/educational discussion of the subject of towing heavier loads with a DP can be found at this link.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Guyver280z
Explorer
Explorer
Haha, oh well yeah that would be sweet, but I believe it has two have a total of two axles so I can drive it without a CDL, am I right??

I've seen many RVs towing big racecar enclosed trailers

So I believe I should be fine, but my question is, what engine should I be looking at? What engine brand/hp-torque/year and model, transmission??
And if anybody knows of a particular RV brand that makes small or lightweight RVs but powerful enough for towing a two car trailer with two light cars on top.

Moderator edit to re-size image to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Kingsley Coach

Probably more than you want to spend but one of these Class 8 conversions would pull anything you want. Seen some homemade projects over the years where people have mounted used campers on the trucks rails themselves. Might give you your best bang for your buck. Lots of towing capacity.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.